Parts Source for 60 Buick

JanZverina

As a new owner of a '60 Electra, can you folks recommend a few sources for new/rebuilt engine and trim parts? I am aware of CARS in NJ but have seen some mixed reviews on this forum. They seem to have good availability at decent prices. Any other recommendations? I am based in San Diego but looking for any sources nationwide. Thanks!

If you might find a rebuilder with an appropriate "engine" in stock, it would need to be pulled apart and gone through again as it'd probably been sitting around gathering dust for a good while. These are not going to be common things to find as you might a late model Chevy 350, for example.

"Engine" also needs some definition, too. A "short block" is the basic block assembly with all internal parts (pistons, rods, crankshaft, and sometimes camshaft. A "long block" will include these things and also the cylinder head assemblies bolted onto the short block. Up to this point, the basic unit can go many places, but when you start adding intake manifolds and distributors, the basic unit becomes much more application-specific.

Curiously, why do you feel you need a new powerplant?

Your location can also be highly important in choosing a competent machine shop to rebuild the powerplant. Key word is "competent" -- especially in Buick Nailhead V-8s. The basic machine work might be done in the same manner as other engines, but each engine has a few design and build quirks that must be done correctly for the best results and the longest servivce life of the redone engine.

Curiously,

NTX5467

Guest Buick Bonery

The world's expert on nailhead engines is Russ Martin in Grass Valley, CA. His number is 530/272-1564. He rebuilds nailheads and sells parts as well.

Sorry - I may not have been clear. No need to rebuilt the engine. As a first-time owner of an older Buick, I am looking for good parts sources for new and/or rebuilt drivetrtrain and body/interior parts. I had a little trouble sourcing things like a water pump, horn relay, etc., and don't always want to turn to Ebay for exterior trim, etc. I see CARS in NJ and GM Obsolete as some sources but I am wondering if there are any other good outfits that specialize in 60 Buick parts - NOS, or higher quality NORS. Sorry for the confusion!

*** Also, were the inner front fenders, battery tray and rad support semi-gloss black or gloss black? How about the radiator tank top? Gloss or semi?

Thanks!

Guest imported_Thriller

While not specific to the '60 cars, Buick Farm deals with NOS parts...you plug in the year of your car in the right location and it queries their database for what they have that fits.

I have this book. Book If you want something in particular, let me know and I can lookup up a source.

I usually have great luck with Cars. They have a huge inventory of things. Other good sources are as listed in this thread and also Wheatbelt Buick. Their web site should be the same name. You'll have to call them. Lastly, eBay is a great place for parts. Buying or selling cars can be an issue, but finding needed parts there has been great for me.

Email me goub51@gmail.com if you want me to look anything up.

Gary