Missing Buicks ? ? ?

D Binger

The 1916 4 cyl. was a D34-roadster and D35<BR>touring on a 106" chassis. The eng is 170 ci,<BR>3-3/8 x 4.75". 1768 units were roadsters and <BR>13969 were tourings. (source; 70 Years of Buick , G. Dammann). Terry Dunham may have more info on 4 cyl. Buicks.<BR> Good Luck jbbuick22

jbbuick22<P>They did build D-24 & D-25 Buicks in 1916.<BR>This Buick has a data tag that says D-25 and has a 165ci/22hp engine that is almost identical to the one in my 1914 B-25. I am just wondering why there is no written information on these. This vehicle has been certified HPOF at an AACA meet.<P>Dan<p>[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: D Binger ]

Dan,<P>I have in my hot little hand an original Buick Reference Book for the 1916 Models D34 & D35 dated July 1, 1916.<P>Every picture and description in the book matches the car, belonging to the local Doctor, about which you are speaking. It may be mechanically similar to the '14s but I think in '16 it was called a D35 and not a D25.<P>However, I could be wrong.<P>hvs

Yes Chuck, we are home and exhausted. Must be the age factor catching up on me.<P>9 MPG is for eastbound trips since the east is downhill from Cheyenne. However the return is a different story.<P>8 to 8.5 MPG, Rochester to Nebraska. Then with the gradual climb back to 6000', the 75 MPH speed limit and the prevailing westerlies, we got a solid 7 MPG. What can you expect with 500 CI pulling 7500 pounds of 9' high trailer uphill at 75 MPH. It was worth the difference to get home a little quicker.<P>Now I'm going to rest up for the Buzzy tour coming on the 26th.<P>Howard

Come on Howard. Age had nothing to do with it. It the the proper name for it is now offically the "Doug Drake Syndrome" wink.gif" border="0 or as a couple of us decided the tour should have been named the "No Sleep Tour". wink.gif" border="0<P>Heck, I was wore out and I'm a couple of Centurys...nope, those were Buicks wink.gif" border="0...a couple of years younger.

Before I begin the following dissertation on Founders Tours, let me state emphatically that nothing said herein should in any way be considered as being hyper-critical of any aspect of this just completed Founders Tour.<P>That said, I believe the time has come to rein this thing in a bit. I seems that as the years pass the hosting Region of each successive Founders Tour seems to feel that they must outdo the previous year's tour. Register more cars, drive more miles, schedule more activities, see more sights and in general <B>DO MORE THAN THE OTHER GUY.</B><P>This year's tour was an example of having a wonderful time on a great tour, but being exhausted when it was over. Then we all had to drive home and in my case that amounted to 1584 miles and 3 days. I got home on Monday afternoon and it wasn't until yesterday that I felt rested enough to unload the car and put it and the trailer away. That is exhaustion.<P>I stood next to one lady at the closing banquet who said she would never go on another Founders Tour again. She said it was just too much of a strain. I asked how this compared with prior Founders Tours and she replied that she didn't know because this was her first one, and her last! This is not good.<P>What must be considered is how much of a good thing is too much. 180+ miles in one day is too much. 12 hour days on the road is too much. Evening parades of 200+ cars is too much. I for one am beginning to feel the accumulated years and the toll they have taken on my body, and there are MANY participants on Founders Tour in the over 60 age group.<P>So I offer the following suggestions to future planners of Founders Tours. Yes, these cars can cover 200 miles in a day, but why should they have to. Limit the days to no more than 125 miles and let the last day be a shorter one of 50-75 miles. People do not like to arrive back at the hotel an hour before the closing banquet. Morning start from the hotel should not be required before 8:00 AM nor should you get back after 5:00 PM.<P>I could go on, but to sum it up: Stop the competition and forget about trying to be bigger and better than the prior years. Think first of what will make it a pleasurable experience for the tourists, and a marathon is not pleasurable.<P>Just one man's opinion. <P>hvs<p>[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

Well, Howard, you've done it again! grin.gif" border="0 <P>By just posting a reply, you've inadvertantly passed on some wisdom, valuable to some of us out here! smile.gif" border="0 <P>I am trying to get our Region interested in hosting a future AACA Tour and your input as to how full a day should be is very helpful information. wink.gif" border="0 <P>Thanks for all your contributions to this forum! grin.gif" border="0

Ron ~ It wasn't as inadvertant as you might think. My hope was to get people thinking about what makes a tour good and what can detract from one.<P>I have toured for 20 years and so have built up a reserve of knowledge [?] about what can be good as well as bad.<P>I do not claim to be an authority on how to run a tour. I only want to get people thinking about what a tour can mean to, or do to the tourists. If there is merit to these observations, then let's hope that some others planning national tours will at least consider what I have said.<P><B>ABOVE ALL ELSE, STOP THIS COMPETITION TO BE BIGGER AND OUTDO ALL PREVIOUS TOURS</B> <P>HVS

~A few more thoughts on touring~<P>Why do we tour? Yes it is to drive our cars, to visit new parts of the country and experience things we might not have otherwise done. <B>BUT ---</B> to many of us it is primarily a <I>SOCIAL EVENT</I>. Judy and I go on tours to be with our friends. To see new parts of the country with our friends. In many instances the only time we have with these people is on tour. In one case, a couple who are close friends, one time a year bring along a non AACA couple on the tour. This is how we met this couple and it is the only time we get to be with them and we really look forward to the time together.<P>What am I trying to say? For one thing, tours should not be an inter Region competition! There is no trophy awarded for the most exhausting tour with the longest days. Don't make the tours so long in miles and hours and so activity packed that there is NO TIME left for relaxing and socializing.<P>We, and MANY others, like to relax together and shoot the bull in the late afternoon after returning from a pleasant day's drive. Then groups of us get together and go out for a leisurely dinner somewhere in the area. We don't want our days so well planned and fully packed that there is no time for this.<P>Finally, you should not have to try to rush to get some sleep in order to get up before dawn cracks in order to "start another fun packed day". <P>Give us some time off to relax, socialize and enjoy our friends. Also, if you do have to work on the car, it is nice that it not have to be done in the dark. Tours should be fun, not an endurence contest.<P>All of this may be lost here in a thread on Buicks. Does anyone see any merit to moving this to a separate thread dealing with the subject of national tours in order for it to be seen by more potential tour organizers like Ron? If so, say something to that effect here and I will ask Peter to break this part off of this thread. I'm not smart enough to know how to do it by myself.<P>hvs smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Howard,<P>It would probably be benificial to make this a separate thread. You have my vote.<P>Let's back up a little and give the people who are not familiar with AACA tours a description of what a tour is all about. I have never been on one, and don't know much about them. Does the tour begin and end at the same place each day or travel from one place to another? How many days does the typical tour last?

Good questions Hal. Sometimes those of us who have lived in the forest for many years become so familiar with the trees that we forget that everyone else may not know the area as well as we do.<P>I would like to save the answers for an all tour thread if there is support for such a transfer of this discussion. I think it should go separate, but then don't all crusaders think their way is the best. rolleyes.gif" border="0 Point me in the right direction folks.<P>hvs smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

By all means Howard, I for one would like to know more about touring and hear from some of the others about it as well. As you know, last year riding with you and Judy that day on the Reliability Tour was my very first tour experience and it was one of the best days I've spent in the AACA! And as you also know it sickens me that I can't make it out for the Buzzy Tour in a few weeks. See if we can get this transfered to a new thread and start the ball rolling on this subject some more.<P>Rick

Howard, I couldn't agree more on your above posts. I understand why that lady is not interested in another tour. Taking over 500 people to see something is way to many. I was on bus #1 when we went to Niagara Falls. Our bus driver told the guy in charge of the bus loading/unloading area there were 10 buses in the group, his reaction was an expression of disbelief and said "<B>WOW</B>". The actractions are government run, they knew we were coming and couldn't handle our group. Most everywhere we ate, we had to do so in shifts.<P>The only time Howard and I saw each other was when he pulled in from WY and I was running across the parking lot to get my truck to retrieve my Dad's car. Then Friday afternoon again in the parking lot. And the baquet.<P>The only fesiable time for the DF'ers meeting was Tues. night. But due to getting back late from Canada, we didn't have one. Howard and I just missed each other in the lobby and I know of one other DFer in the hotel at that time. <P>One night I was out in the parking lot removing and resealing a sidecover on my Dad's car using a pocket flashlight. Even though the car was under one of the lights I still couldn't see done in the engine compartment.<P>I vote for moving this to another thread where it should get seen.<P>Well, I gotta go. Got car club meeting in a little bit.

I have asked Peter to move this discussion to a new thread, but he said he may have trouble doing it. I think he is still trying.<P>If he can't split it apart at post #8, we may all have to go back and re-enter our posts on the subject. If it comes to that, I will get back to all of you on how, when and in what order.<P>Another possibility is to have Peter delete posts 1 thru 7 and change the title, if that can be done. It is OK with D Binger who started the thread.<P>hvs