Hard to find parts or not??? 56 Buick

BuddyJohn56

Here is an email that I got from a guy that ownes a 56 Buick project I want to buy. Any experts out there on 56s that can tell me if this is a project worth taking on. I do the work myself, but do not know how hard it is to find parts for these problems:

"Ok here goes, the headlights work, one tail light works, the horn works, the original radio works, the drivers window rolls up fine, the weatherstripping is 52 years old but with the front windows having the flippers over them I think it will be ok. The turn signals don't work at all so it's probably a flasher. The heater core has been bypassed (maybe thats what made the floor rust). I did drive the car down the block when I first got it and it drove pretty good, I didn't go real fast because it only has one wheel stopping it. I did run up into 3rd gear, and the linkage and clutch seem to work just fine. It looks to me you could get it on the road with very little work, a gas tank, a fuel pump, bleed the brakes and spend a half a day playing with it. If you need any other pictures let me know and i'll get them."

I have been looking for parts. The asking price is $3500... A tank and fuel sending unit can run $300 I guess. Thanks

Guest imported_Thriller

I can't speak to everything, but mechanical parts are generally not too bad to come by. The biggest issue you will have is if you are missing trim pieces or the like...there were only so many of those made in the first place and there isn't really enough demand for aftermarket pieces.

When the fellow refers to third gear, it leads me to presume we are talking about a manual transmission car...is that correct? If so, it's relatively rare as most Buicks would have had Dynaflow automatics.

I'm not going to comment on price...the market seems to be moving around too fast for me to know what is really going on. That being said, the model and body style will help determine whether that's a reasonable price or high.

Good luck.

Thanks Derek. It is a 3 on the tree, wish it was a Dynaflow, but the stick can be fun. I think I will do it anyways as long as I can get it at the price I would like..a little less than 3500. If it ends up being too much work to get on the road by end of the summer, then I can fix up what I can and sell it or sell something else! Luckily all the trim is there from what I can tell. Thanks for the input on the parts. Take care

I would say this car is leading towards a rare machine. Note: the car is a stick shift. And it has the front door flappers. Correct me if I am wrong but that makes it a two door, and a Riviera Model ( no posts between the windows).

As a stick I believe it can only be a Special although you can't rule out a Century. I believe you'd find a resale market if you wanted to let the car go later.

The price he is asking can't be commented on. The floor is rusted out. Probably needs rugs too. The heater core has to be replaced. You have some issues with the wiring. Only one brake is working, this will be more than just a bleeding problem.

But what is the body and frame really like? Without that knowledge I would not want to comment on the price he is asking.

Good luck though. And please post some pictures for the dreamers amongst us.

Looks like cool project for someone with some body experience. I think that's the first time I ever saw the clutch pedal set up on a 56, and it is neat the way they made it match the brake pedal. My Dad used to have a 55 special with the stick and I remember the brake and clutch pedals did not have any braces hanging from the dash. they both had matched curved rods that went down through the floor board.

Note: if that car has not been modified, the clutch replacement requires removal of the rear axle. This is not as hard as it sounds. In some cases the rear axle may be disconnected and pulled back to get the access needed, without complete removal from under the car.

Let us know if you buy it. Good Luck.

That car looks pretty solid, but $3500 is a bit high for one needing paint, upholstery, and chrome replating. At that price, it better have all of the missing chrome trim and wheel covers. As others have said, the stick shift is very rare in a '56 Buick, especially in a 2-door hardtop, and I for one, prefer it over the Dynaflow. Parts are not too hard to find for this car, but any missing chrome trim will be expensive.

Pete Phillips

BCA #7338

Sherman, TX

That car looks pretty solid, but $3500 is a bit high for one needing paint, upholstery, and chrome replating. At that price, it better have all of the missing chrome trim and wheel covers. As others have said, the stick shift is very rare in a '56 Buick, especially in a 2-door hardtop, and I for one, prefer it over the Dynaflow. Parts are not too hard to find for this car, but any missing chrome trim will be expensive.

Pete Phillips

BCA #7338

Sherman, TX

I got the price down to $2900, but still would have to go get it or have it shipped for around $450-500 if I go get it with my truck, or $400 if I dont see it and get it delivered. Need to find a trailer first, but I would rather go see it myself and not do on a whim over the internet...been there! All the chrome is there including side sweeep trim but no hub caps. It needs a lot, but the change to get this car is probably once in a lifetime. I could never afford to buy a restored car nor would I want to...not fun if you dont have your hands in it. I am thinking about it hard and thats where I'm at for now. I have been selling a lot of car parts laying around and I am back to work since I work outside so money is comin and hopefully that Buick too! Take care and thanks

I got the price down to $2900, but still would have to go get it or have it shipped for around $450-500 if I go get it with my truck, or $400 if I dont see it and get it delivered. Need to find a trailer first, but I would rather go see it myself and not do on a whim over the internet...been there! All the chrome is there including side sweeep trim but no hub caps. It needs a lot, but the change to get this car is probably once in a lifetime. I could never afford to buy a restored car nor would I want to...not fun if you dont have your hands in it. I am thinking about it hard and thats where I'm at for now. I have been selling a lot of car parts laying around and I am back to work since I work outside so money is comin and hopefully that Buick too! Take care and thanks

Guest imported_MrEarl

Man where have I been to miss this thread so far. That is one cool little hot rod Special. To me the 3 speed adds at least 500 in value. If the floors are all that is rusted through then that ain't bad. But I think I see some spots on the rockers and rear quarter. She's been painted a few times it appears given the blue firewall and burgandy posts. The steering wheel looks good. The glass "looks" good but it's hard to tell. Good glass is a big selling point to me. I put a value on a car by determining what will it not need to restore, and glass is a biggy. If the car is relatively solid, glass is good with little or no fog or cracks, runs with no hiccups and there is NO problem with the tranny and rear end I think $2500 would be a decent price for a fairly easy restore. If at all possible go look at it though or ask the seller to send detailed pictures and give a detailed description. Parts aren't that hard to find for mid fifties Buicks. Probably will be in the next 5-10 years though given they are all being parted out and crushed now.

Good luck and holler if you have anymore questions.

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate any help and advice. Unfortunately this guy wants to part this car out if I do not buy it. I came across a 1956 Pontiac StarChief 2 door hard top this week and checked it out only 20 minutes from home...its in better shape and not one ounce of rot anywhere! Its a CA car like the Buick, but the guy selling the Buick seems to not want to answer all of my questions. I asked about the cancer in the top of the driver's door jam and he said I should just buy it since it does not need a lot. I do not like the fact that the black primer was applied over rust either...no story or history to tell on how that got to be. I just hope that this car is saved from being parted out. I just cannot see myself buying it and finding a lot of problems and totally regretting it and ending up with another incomplete project! Thanks and if you know of anyone who may be interested in this car...its in Illinois. Take care

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary_N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the Poncho. Sounds like a great project. Always loved the Pontiac Dash, amongst other things!

Gary </div></div>

Sorry any Pontiac owners that may be viewing and no offense toward my buddy Gary intended, but I'd take a cancerous Flintstone 56 Buick over a restored Pontiac any day. That's just from MrEarls point of view.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary_N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh no, am I being chastised for the error of my comments????

</div></div>

YEP..., but since you're admitting it was an error we'll let ya slide this time. grin.gifwink.gif

I'm surprised Roberta hasn't weighed in on this thread. I'd love to see her changin gears in a 3 speed 56. I hear she never misses a gear. wink.gif...or was that "a beer" crazy.giflaugh.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure wish I could afford it, the Buick that is. I wonder what it would take to put the stick shift stuff into my Super? I think that would make a nice car.

</div></div>

That would be a tough car!!! Someody refresh my memory, was the 3 speed in all 56 series the 6 bolt or was the 40 series a 5 bolt as in 54 and 55.

There is still a chance I may go get it. I put my old truck up for sale and its going at a price more than I could ever imagine of getting...so thats a plus! There is also a 1956 Cadillac Coupe DeVille on my wish list if the 56 Pontiac and Buick do not work out. Bein in the market for a car is some hard decision making. I love that Buick though. Thanks for the posts and the help on this topic even though Gary is gettin messed with! Someone mentioned Reberta, I remember her from when I was a kid (not long ago since I'm 23) but she used to drag race her 1969? was it GS? I think it was red but I may be wrong completely. I remember her though from Buick Nat's and she lives in the PA I think. I remember her being my heroin growing up knowin so much about Buicks. Take care guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuddyJohn56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is still a chance I may go get it. <span style="color: #FF0000">Yea, go get the buick!</span> I put my old truck up for sale and its going at a price more than I could ever imagine of getting...so thats a plus! <span style="color: #3333FF">Right, go get the Buick! </span> There is also a 1956 Cadillac Coupe DeVille on my wish list if the 56 Pontiac and Buick do not work out. <span style="color: #009900">Nah, go get the Buick! </span> Bein in the market for a car is some hard decision making. I love that Buick though. <span style="color: #CC0000">Right, go get the Buick!</span> Thanks for the posts and the help on this topic even though Gary is gettin messed with! Someone mentioned Reberta, I remember her from when I was a kid (not long ago since I'm 23) but she used to drag race her 1969? was it GS? I think it was red but I may be wrong completely. I remember her though from Buick Nat's and she lives in the PA I think. I remember her being my heroin growing up knowin so much about Buicks. Take care guys </div></div>

Just wanted to mention, I think you should go get the buick!

Guest imported_MrEarl

That's good news BuddyJohn about your truck selling for good money. Did you ever get a report on the Buick. If it's fairly solid and an easy restore, I think it would be a good investment considering it's a 3 speed. Plus just look at the fun you can have here on the BCA Forum....

Yea, that Roberta is a Buick racing icon. Before she was Buick Racer, she was

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrEarl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary_N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh no, am I being chastised for the error of my comments????

</div></div>

YEP..., but since you're admitting it was an error we'll let ya slide this time. grin.gifwink.gif

I'm surprised Roberta hasn't weighed in on this thread. I'd love to see her changin gears in a 3 speed 56. I hear she never misses a gear. wink.gif...or was that "a beer" crazy.giflaugh.gif </div></div>

I also hadn't seen this thread till MR. Earl PMed me, I don't have time to visit the whole forum. I'd love to see me in a nailhead 3 speed, I worked on my brother's last year before the Grest Lakes Regional at Grand Island, NY, but I didn't get to even ride in it, my dad did though, it will be in FLint in July!

He's offered my Mom to help drive it out to Flint, from North Tonawanda, NY!

John, you are almost right, I have a '68 red GS400 Convertible 4-speed, I had it at the BCA Nationals in Buffalo, and in Batavia, NY, and I raced it at Lackawanna during the Batavia Nationals. I am orginally from Owego, NY, 7 miles from the Penn border, my brother, Ted used to live in Irwin, PA, and has been in Shrewsberry, PA for about 10 yrs and he works in MD. My other brother, Chris, cvasilow@aol.com is the resident expert on '56 stick shift cars. I will send him the link to this page.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BUICK RACER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John, you are almost right, I have a '68 red GS400 Convertible 4-speed, I had it at the BCA Nationals in Buffalo, and in Batavia, NY, and I raced it at Lackawanna during the Batavia Nationals. I am orginally from Owego, NY, 7 miles from the Penn border, my brother, Ted used to live in Irwin, PA, and has been in Shrewsberry, PA for about 10 yrs and he works in MD. My other brother, Chris, cvasilow@aol.com is the resident expert on '56 stick shift cars. I will send him the link to this page. </div></div>

Hi! Thanks a lot for the help. I had someone from IL take a look at it for me and they said the panels are good and it has been painted 100 different colors! The guy selling it let it run for 5 seconds...no fuel so it died out. Least it runs. A 3 speed Special Riviera would be a keeper. I just hope gas levels off or it will be too expensive to go get and haul back with a 4x4 GMC. Least it would be a pretty flat ride. Thanks again!