1950 Desoto Custom

Brian_Conway

Hi

I am working on a 1950 Desoto custome and want to convert it from a 6 volt system to a 12 volt system. Right now it is set up for positive ground.

I'm looking for some help on what I would need to do to accomplish this...

I had a friend suggest a 12 to 6 converter for the panel lights, but I wasn't sure if that would be OK for the regulator and heater...

Would I have to change out the starter and generator? Did they make a 12 volt generator and starter for this year?

Oh, I need new wiper moters too...

Any help would be appreciated!

I suggest you leave it 6 volt.

Have converted cars over in the past unil I finally got wise. It's a lot of work for not much gain. If there is something wrong with your starter, ignition etc. changing to 12 volts won't fix it. You will go to a lot of work changing it, then have to fix what was broken in the first place.

Easiest and cheapest answer, fix the 6 volt.

Next easiest and cheapest, sell it and buy a 1955 up car that is already 12 volt.

If you tell me what is wrong with the car I can help you fix it a lot easier and cheaper than changing it to 12 volt.

• 2 years later...
Guest robert1969
Hi

I am working on a 1950 Desoto custome and want to convert it from a 6 volt system to a 12 volt system. Right now it is set up for positive ground.

I'm looking for some help on what I would need to do to accomplish this...

I had a friend suggest a 12 to 6 converter for the panel lights, but I wasn't sure if that would be OK for the regulator and heater...

Would I have to change out the starter and generator? Did they make a 12 volt generator and starter for this year?

Oh, I need new wiper moters too...

Any help would be appreciated!

I have a 1950 Desoto custom it had a 6 volt i went and got an 8 volt battery

works just fine

Guest De Soto Frank

Been driving flathead MoPars for 25 years now; they work fine on 6-volts.

Make sure the electrical system is in good working order, with clean, tight connections and proper gauge wire (#2 or #0 for the Battery cables, NOT #4 or #6 cables from a 12-volt car!).

Rusty's correct - it's just as easy ( if not easier) to fix the stock electrics than to go about "upgrading" to 12-volt / negative ground...

Get a copy of the factory shop manual, and take your time going through the car, making everything "right".

I agree with Rusty_OToole and DeSoto Frank--- Keep it 6 volt. V-8's and 12 are the easy way out now days. Make sure you have BIG proper high quality 6 volt battery cables-not those skinny little 12 volt cables. And get the factory shop manual and learn from it how to keep your De"Soto" running properly. They are a joy to drive in the stock form too!

Bob

Guest De Soto Frank

Johnson's Auto literature and Walter Miller Auto literature are two good sources for original manuals and other original literature; I believe both have e-bay stores or internet stores.

Roberts' MOtor PARts and Andy Bernbaum are two reliable parts suppliers who both have on-line stores, and who usually carry re-prints of shop-manuals.