fuel additives cheaper than gas?

Jim NotreDame IN

i ran a can of seafoam through my tank last time around an had about 2 mpg better efficiency for the whole tank. i did the math, and it seemed like the seafoam was cheaper than the extra gas that i would have had to buy to get the same mileage. has anybody else noticed this? any other additives give better mileage for less than $6 a can?

18 gallon tank X 2 mpg = 36 extra miles per tank

You paid $6.00 to get that 36 extra miles.

Here gas is $3.00 per gallon. $6.00 would buy 2 gallons of gasoline and my average mpg is 26.7 on the highway.

$6.00 worth of gas (2 gallons) x 26.7 mpg - 55.2 miles.

Seems like gasoline would have been the better deal if you get the same mileage that I get.

Thing is....the additive may have cleaned things in the engine and you may continue to get the better mileage for a while without adding more Seafoam.

I ran the numbers on octane booster when I owned a car that wanted higher octane. That did not work out... most octane boosters only boost the octane 1/2 a point when added to 15 gallons of fuel. So it would take several cans of $7.00 booster to go from 87 to 91 octane.

Also when comparing cost, cents per mile is easier to understand.

Example. If gas is $3.50/gal and you get 20 mpg, it cost you 17.5 cents per mile.

If you jump to 22 mpg then the cost is 15.9 cents per mile

In the above case your cost went down 1.6 cents per mile.

If a can of Seafoam cost $6.00 divided by 1.6 = 375 miles before you break even on the cost of the Seafoam.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TommyH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-a-n-i-e-l</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is something wrong with your car, or you sit in stop and go your whole commute</div></div>

Hmm...It takes about 8 minutes to get to school. I have to stop about ever 500-1000 feet, four times. The lights in my area are crazy.

Guest MauiWowee

Wow.......and I had to walk or ride my bike eight miles to school, uphill........................ both ways.

But seriously Tommy, you motor is barely warmed up by the time you get there. cool.gif