1970 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible

Had you contacted me two years ago, we pulled a 1970 tank/sender out of my buddy's 66 Starfire (it was wedged in the straps with a 4x4 timber, I kid you not). After it sat around a year and no-one wanted it, it went to the metal recycler's.

You'll have to find a used tank or if you're lucky, an NOS one.

Parts book shows 1969 and 1970 98 use the same tank. There's one number difference in 88 and 98 tank part numbers, and the 88 tanks are the same 67-70. I don't know for sure what the difference is.

I think someone on the Buick Forum has a Hollander Interchange Manual. It will tell what other cars' tanks will work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Parts book shows 1969 and 1970 98 use the same tank. There's one number difference in 88 and 98 tank part numbers, and the 88 tanks are the same 67-70. I don't know for sure what the difference is.

I think someone on the Buick Forum has a Hollander Interchange Manual. It will tell what other cars' tanks will work. </div></div>

Actually, according to my Hollander, the 69-70 98 tanks are the only ones shown as an interchange, and that's only if the car does not have evaporative emissions control. For 1970, EEC was a mid-year addition and that tank is unique. I've also noticed that Hollander is VERY conservative on exact replacements, so other C-body tanks may work. As an example, Hollander shows that only the Oldsmobile spindles will interchange on the 68-72 Cutlii, but I've personally done disc brake swaps with parts I pulled from a Monte Carlo and a Tempest. Also note that the main differences for the 67-70 tanks will be the vent tube configuration. You can try an older tank and reconfigure the vents to match or have a qualified shop modify the older tank with the appropriate vent tube fittings.

Failing all else, there are a number of street rod vendors who will custom fabricate fuel tanks. It won't be original but you'll be able to drive the car.

(Yes, Glenn, I responded to this first over at classicoldsmobile.com)