RYAN ..... reprogram prom

Roadster90

I would like to know how much it costs and the general procedure to program a prom to cut the fans on early or quicker at stop lights in the summer to keep the a/c operating or cooling. A person named Ryan is refered to often on this forum when discussing re programming of the prom.....can some one supply his contact info please?

Also, I imagine that the prom must be supplied to Ryan....does any one have a good source for the prom (used I guess) please? Jim does not separate the prom and ecm.

Nic,

Sorry I almost forgot the second part. The reprogramming is just the rewriting of a new or old chip. It is not too difficult to do with the right tools and a little experience. (so I am told)

As far as having yours reprogrammed:

0. get a hold of Ryan

1. disconnect your battery

2. remove ECM

3. remove two screws holding the Prom cover

4. press latches down on either side of factory prom

5. place factory prom on the moats.net adapter (sent from Ryan)

6. Place newly programmed chip on the adapter

7. insert adater and prom into ECM and replace everything in rverse order

8. test the changes to ensure proper funtions

One other thing, there is no need for a new prom if you buy the adapter and chip. Pluss you are a better man if you have the skills to unsoldier the old prom chip.

Think dtcc.cz28.com is aka gmtuners.com and is Ryan.

Really interesting bit is this: "Reprogram the 88-91 3800 OBD-1 ECM for use with the 3800 Series 1 SC or Series 2 SC engine (ideal for Reatta, Riviera, & Toronado/Trofeo owners who want a more powerful engine but don't want to loose the functionality of their factory on-board computers and information systems)"

General reprogramming appears to be $55 now (cheap).

General temperature and drivability control requires fixing several settings:

LoFan on

LoFan off

HiFan on

HiFan off

highway fan off speed (turns fans off when at highway speed)

mph TCC apply

mph TCC release

each is one byte

I like to run a 180f thremostat and my settings are

LoFan on 185F

LoFanOff 183F

HiFan On 189F

HiFanOff 186F

Highway fan off 50 mph

TCC apply in 4th: 45 mph

Tcc release in 4th 43 mph

Some may not like 1250 rpm in 4th but I have a lot of 45 mph roads around here and the land is mostly flat and the engine is not lugging. Instant MPG goes from low 30s without lockup (about 1650 rpm) to high 30's with.

Ryan answered my post and what he said was very interesting. My problem is that in the summer when it is humid and 95 + in mid day temperatures, when I stop at a stop light in the coupe, the a/c starts blowing nothing but warm air.....once I leave the stop light and build up motion or RPM, it starts blowing cold air again....I was thinking that programing the fans to com on earlier would help.....any comments please....OR do I have another problem???

Thanks,

Nic

Padgett,

I saw some of what you are refering to on his site....sounds interesting but I am lost....I need to speak to you

Nic

Guest Greg Ross

I sent Ryan a PROM a year or so ago for work on Fuel Charts. That PROM was a late version of the evolution of PROMs I had been through and he obviously didn't grasp the reprogramming that had been done concerning the manual tranny, torque converter lock-up, etc. The PROM that came back was a disaster, the car ran in "Limp Home" mode, sort of. From the note that came back with it I'm pretty certain he knew it was messed up and he wasn't offering to do anything beyond that.

I cannot risk sending him my last good PROM

Ryan has sent me or replied to two emails and I was very impressed. His replies are very helpful and he did state that by reprogramming the fans that it may not resolve my problem....he gave some diagnotic suggestions/information that I will have to research...

Nic, I don't believe you have a problem that reprogramming the chip to turn the fans on at a lower temp is going to solve, unless someone has already altered the program in your chip. If it was a programming error then all of us should have the same problem. Wouldn't we?

I believe you will find you have something wrong electrically, either a bad relay, fuse, connection etc. that is keeping the fan from running when the A/C is on. The FSM shows two temp. sensors in the A/C system that sense the temp. of the freon circulating through the system. It is possible they may send information to the BCM or ECM that controls when the fans come on. They could be defective and sending incorrect information.