Willing a Classic Car After Death

Chacheska

Bill,

Obviously, you have seen the movie "Used Cars" waaaay too many times.....or maybe your wife has.

But seriously, has she checked to see what your auto insurance rates will be after your demise if you keep driving? I wonder if you will still get an AARP discount?

If you have nobody to leave it to, SELL IT yourself while you still have your facilities and some control over who to sell to. I have seen what happens with an estate full of stuff where nobody with any kind of sentimental attachment is around to make decisions, and it's not pretty. Enjoy it while you can, pass it on if you can. But if not, then just let it go. Sell it to another collector. Even sell it at a price below value if you know it's going to a good home and the young enthusiastic buyer truly appreciates the gesture. Don't wait until the last minute. Unless you know exactly which of your surviving relatives will get the car and take good care of it, SELL IT when you can no longer enjoy it yourself. Trust me, while your car is special to you, your other relatives would much rather have the cash.

Check out my post above--there are a lot of tax ramifications of selling it. Even if your heirs prefer cash, they'll get more out of your estate if you do something other than simply sell it. Screw the IRS. They can have my antique cars when they pry my cold, dead corpse out of the driver's seat.