1954 Buick Landau Motorama Show Car

Charles D. Barnette

Well Roy got his cake and the right to eat it too! As soon as the Landau touched the soil of Texarkana, we got the news that the Landau will stay in Texarkana until October 28, 2008. Mr. O'Quinn has his "Al Capone Cadillac" on display in Hot Springs, Arkansas; and it will be ready to go back to Houston at that time. So we at the Tex-Ark Antique Auto Museum were asked to keep the Landau until that time until both could be picked up at the same time (Hot Springs is only 90 miles from Texarkana). When asked if we would mind keeping the Landau for another 2 weeks, my Museum Officers responded with a hearty YES! The car is so beautiful "in person" that it makes you cry. Our guest speaker Mr. Robert K. Blair upon seeing the car after 47 years openly wept from the flood of memories that came upon him. The truck driver hired by Mr. O'Quinn had permission to drive the car on Texarkana streets as we moved to a location suitable for David Temple to do a photo shoot with the Landau. The next thing I know, Mr. Blair with permission from the truck driver takes the wheel of the Landau with the truck driver sitting on the passenger side front and author David Temple in the back; and all three of them take a joy ride around Texarkana leaving me behind and wondering how they were going to navigate the one way streets of Texarkana, since none of the three were familiar with Texarkana! Oh well, Mr. Blair deserved the treat and so did the Landau. Her grille seemed to be smiling wider than ever on her return back to me. More to come as the show continues today. Charles

Guest imported_MrEarl

Anxiously awaiting a full report and pictures. I am glad to hear Mr. Blair got to take it for a spin. I would love to take the wheel "some day".

Charles, I just sent you a PM

I had so much fun in Texarkana yesterday. It people were nice and treated me like a king. I was the only BCA member there, however. That was disappointing, especially with all the work Charles did to publicize it.

I don't know where to begin. I guess I'll get the bad stuff out of the way first. I headed out in the 61 Electra yesterday morning at 6:00. It was still very dark. I decided to stay off the major highways and take the scenic route. I got about 15 miles from home and there was construction, so I put my bright lights on. After the construction I turned out the brights and realized then I had blown the left low beam headlight. I pulled off the road and looked at the wires. No luck. My first thought was oh well, I can just drive on brights. But every car coming at me was blinking their lights at me. And I did not feel safe with only one low beam light. Knowing I would be driving home in the dark, I turned around, went back home, and drove the 91 wagon instead. It was a nice drive, alhthough it was 4 hours long. I arrived at 10:30. The Landau was being showcased right at the front of the museum. The outside of the Landau and the engine were spectacularly restored. However, the interior was original.

Now the good stuff. The Landau was available for all the pictures you wanted to take. And there were only a few people there. We were allowed to open the doors, hood, etc. We could not get inside the trunk, though. But the other, perhaps stronger, story is about Robert K. Blair and his father Robert F. Blair, and how the Landau was saved from Buick executives. Robert F. was a Buick executive at the time Harley Earl and Harlow Curtis left Buick and the new executives wanted to scrap it. Robert F. bought it for $750 in 1958. It had 700 miles then. Robert K. was in high school at the time and was allowed to drive it for the next three years. When his dad sold it in 1961, everyone lost track of it. Robert K., now living in Austin, was there to tell his stories about the car. He said he drove it to his high school prom, to his fiance's house many times, and around college a lot. When he arrived last night, he saw the car for the first time in 47 years. The emotion overwhelmed him. He gave a very moving speech about his dad and his memories of the Landau. Charles then presented him with the restored thermos and cups, which were placed in their proper place in the rear arm rest after 21 years of separation. Charles also showed the replica wheel covers to replace the original ones stolen while it was parked at the fiance's house one night. Charles is a guy that you can meet and in 5 minutes you're his best friend.

I loved the museum. It is definately a grass-roots, individual effort, driven entirely by the love and interest of old cars. The museum does not own many cars. Owners of cars are contacted by the museum and asked if they would like to display them. There is no charge to see them. The museum operates solely off of donations.

I will post a few pictures at a time, focusing on areas that are not previously displayed in this thread. If you have any questions, ask.

Tex-Ark Auto Museum. Located in downtown Texarkana, this building was built around 1900 next door to the town's Overland Auto dealership. This place has so much charm and lives off of donations. Charles, his father, and several other volunteers run the place through their love of old cars.

post-31046-143138011023_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143138011039_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143138011054_thumb.jpg

Roy,

Thanks for taking us on a tour of the museum. Charles, thank you for all you are doing for the antique automobile "hobby" or "passion".

Charles, where can we send a little donation to help with the expenses. Hey everyone, if we all make a donation, no matter how small, it will help out Charles and the museum. Let's all send something.

stevo

Roy you have done an excellent job with your photos. I was very pleased with the whole event. I selected 16 of my pictures to display here. I will ask member Brian Laurance to post them for me. I am extremely proud of our museum in having had two Motorama cars to display-the first being the 1956 Eldorado Brougham Town Car. Stevo asked for an address to send contributions to us if one feels so inclined. That address would be Tex-Ark Antique Auto Museum (in care of) Charles D. Barnette, Activity Director, PO Box 2077, Texarkana, AR 75504. Make checks payable to Tex-Ark Antique Auto Museum. We are a 501 C3 nonprofit corporation. Thanks and enjoy the pictures! Charles D. Barnette

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxBuicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the rear of the Landau. Larissa Powell is the Motorama girl.

How do you get these to just load, instead of having to click on the links? </div></div>

Roy, the pictures are probably too big to be able to be viewed other than as an attachment. I'm not sure what the size limit for that is. So unless someone else can tell us, you can either resize them until you determine what that size is or you can post them to an image hosting site like PhotoBucket or ImageShack and transfer those links to your posts.I for one would love to see them without waiting for the attachment to pull them up and if necessary will save them all to one of my Image hosting sites and repost them. An administrator or moderator should be able to fix them for you though.(as we all know Roberta can fix anything)

Guest imported_MrEarl

Brian, we were apparently typing away at the same time. Sorry to inject between your and Charles' post.

WOW, that was an awesome event. If only it had not been 800 miles away. Let me get back and drool over the pictures some more.

10_of_16.jpg

Uhhmmmm, I like the girl better, bring back the girl grin.gifgrin.gifwink.gif

I have just received word from David Temple that his article to be done on the Landau at Texarkana will appear in a future issue of Hemmings Classic Cars magazine. Of course Roy Faries will be doing an article on the event for The Buick Bugle. As for the Landau itself, after October 28, 2008, it will return to Houston along with the 1928 Al Capone Cadillac currently on display at the Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I am hoping that Mr. O'Quinn, the owner of both cars, will display the Landau in the future at Pebble Beach. Charles D. Barnette

Charles, I will watch eagerly for the articles from both David and Roy!

I agree with you regarding a Pebble Beach appearance for the Landau. This car is not sufficiently well-known as a true Motorama special. It would be great for it to be a part of the Concours displays of the GM Motorama cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Charles Barnette reports that "all good things must come to an end. The Landau left Texarkana yesterday. Note I got to drive her out of the Museum and into the truck. I had to use the open back of the Landau to get out!"

Landau_1.jpg

Landau_2.jpg

Landau_3.jpg

Charles, this has been an extraordinary tale, and we're grateful that you shared all of this with us.

We look forward to David Temple's upcoming article in Hemmings Classic Car regarding the Landau, and hope that you or David will give us a heads up if you learn that the article is about to be published.

Charles, for an encore, perhaps you should aim for a loan of the 1953 Wildcat I to the Texarkana Auto Museum, since that's the other Motorama Buick that we rarely get to see. The Wildcat I is part of the Bortz Collection, so, unlike the LeSabre or Y-Job or others, has not appeared at a Buick National (to my knowledge) since the early 1970's.

For the benefit of the readers here, Charles will display the long-lost 1959 Buick "Texan" Estate Wagon at the Colorado Springs National Meet next year. Okay, in the interest of full disclosure, Charles' Texan is 1:25-scale, but I can assure you that he made a tremendous effort to track down the real Texan. This little-known Buick show car was very special, and its interior served as a pattern for the ultra-rare 1960 Invicta Custom Estate Wagon. The car featured a sun roof, and full leather bucket seat interiors. This car was built in the theme of the 1958 Wells Fargo convertible and a special '58 Caballero wagon constructed for Bill Mitchell. Here's the Texan at the Chicago Auto Show. The car probably did not survive.

Texan2.JPG