1954 Buick Landau Motorama Show Car

Charles D. Barnette

Charles, the video is terrific -- and the opportunity to unite these items with the car is truly amazing.

Is it known why the items were separated from the car about ten years ago? How did the seller know that these were the original items for the car?

I will be most interested to learn the response of the car's current owner when you present these items and re-unit them with the Motorama Buick!

Brian, are you ready for this? I could easily tell that the items were genuine by the pictures I had before I won them on ebay. When I did win them I discovered that the seller was an agent for one of the previous owners of the car! That owner had kept the items all these years. That owner wishes to remain anonymous. So I have no doubt about the authenticity of these items. Charles

Brian, the current owner is aware of all. He and his wonderful staff are overjoyed with the items being returned to the car. I wanted the honor of obtaining and donating these items for the car so badly that I asked the owner not to bid on them out of fear that we would be bidding against each other to the same end. It all worked out perfectly. Our museum will be able to accomplish something that no other museum or show could accomplish when the reuniting takes place. Charles

Guest imported_Thriller

I'm glad I don't have to clean your office...I hate Styrofoam popcorn....

Please don't take this the wrong way Charles...the music and some of the sound effects led me to thinking of a Charlie Brown / Peanuts show...thoroughly enjoyable cool.gif

Brian, yes the reuniting will result in a second video for historical reasons. David Temple would not miss it for the world! He will have a book signing and will answer any Motorama questions at that time. It is David Temple and his book that instilled in me the respect for the GM Motoramas. I get to feel what it might have been like when I attend annually The Detroit Auto Shows. Charles

Guest El_Diablo

I found a 1954 Motorama video on the internet some months ago... the Landau is not shown, but still interesting, I think. Enjoy!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXHmmw4l7uM"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXHmmw4l7uM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

I too must say thanks El Diablo for sharing this video on the 1954 Motorama. According to David Temple's book, the year 1954 was the only year Buick offered two show cars during the same year. They were of course the Buick Landau and the Wildcat II (it is shown in the video). The Wildcat II is in my opinion the best looking sports car to ever be designed. It should have seen production. I also liked seeing the beautiful 1954 Skylark with its unique taillight design. Finally, I enjoyed seeing the guest appearance of Mr. Harlow Curtis, then president of GM. It was Mr. Curtis who put the Buick Landau into service after the 1954 Motorama as an executive limo for VIPs in New York City.

Fans of the 1954 Motorama may be interested in the limited edition print by automotive artist David Snyder. I especially like this one because it prominently displays the Wildcat II dream car and the rear of the beautiful '54 Skylark.

M54.jpg

This is the second in David's series of Motorama prints; the 1953 Motorama was displayed in an earlier print.

David's prints -- mostly musclecars -- can be seen and ordered at www.davidsnydercarart.com . I've hoped that strong sales of the Motorama prints will encourage David to paint images from all of the Motoramas.

One other Motorama car,ie, the 1954 Cadillac Park Avenue, had similar items placed in its rear armrest by the factory. Like the Landau, there were in the Park Avenue also three cups which appear by photo in David Temple's book to be identical to those of the Landau. However whereas the Landau thermos is aluminum with grooves and a cone-shaped end where it screws off, the Park Avenue thermos is a different style being smooth and shiny and the end that screws off has the same circumference as the rest of the thermos. In my opinion, both of these vehicles share the title of "First Automotive Cup Holders" although they were located in the rear armrest. It is interesting as a side note that the name "Park Avenue" became a Buick production term and not a Cadillac production term. Finally, check out the latest issue of Hemmings Magazine where David Temple has an article on Motorama vehicles 1953 to 1961. Also the 100th birthday of GM this year is featured with a timeline. I didn't realize that GM started off first with Buick!

One other Motorama car,ie, the 1954 Cadillac Park Avenue, had similar items placed in its rear armrest by the factory. Like the Landau, there were in the Park Avenue also three cups which appear by photo in David Temple's book to be identical to those of the Landau. However whereas the Landau thermos is aluminum with grooves and a cone-shaped end where it screws off, the Park Avenue thermos is a different style being smooth and shiny and the end that screws off has the same circumference as the rest of the thermos. In my opinion, both of these vehicles share the title of "First Automotive Cup Holders" although they were located in the rear armrest. It is interesting as a side note that the name "Park Avenue" became a Buick production term and not a Cadillac production term. Finally, check out the latest issue of Hemmings Magazine where David Temple has an article on Motorama vehicles 1953 to 1961. Also the 100th birthday of GM this year is featured with a timeline. I didn't realize that GM started off first with Buick!

Charles, Buick first applied the Park Avenue name to a special, ultra-luxurious interior package available on the 1975 Electra 225. Ultimately, Park Avenue would become a full-fledged Buick series.

But Cadillac did, in fact, utilize the name on a production model in 1962 and 1963. Beginning in 1961, Cadillac offered a "short deck" model with the idea that it would be more easy to handle in congested urban areas. Initially, the car was available as the Series 62 Town Sedan and Series 63 DeVille Town Sedan. In 1962 and 1963, the DeVille short deck cars were known as Park Avenues.

In 1962, the Park Avenue shared the 129.5" wheelbase of the standard DeVille, but overall length was trimmed from 222" to 215" for the Park Avenue.

These cars did not enjoy high volume. Who wanted a Cadillac with a truncated trunk? It is unusual to see one of these cars, but, when you do, it's immediately obvious that the cars are shorter than the conventional Cadillacs.

Yes, it was on the basis of Buick's strength that General Motors was formed, making it appropriate that the Buick Club folks are involved in planning some GM Centennial events during this year's Buick national meet in Flint.

Charles, Buick first applied the Park Avenue name to a special, ultra-luxurious interior package available on the 1975 Electra 225. Ultimately, Park Avenue would become a full-fledged Buick series.

But Cadillac did, in fact, utilize the name on a production model in 1962 and 1963. Beginning in 1961, Cadillac offered a "short deck" model with the idea that it would be more easy to handle in congested urban areas. Initially, the car was available as the Series 62 Town Sedan and Series 63 DeVille Town Sedan. In 1962 and 1963, the DeVille short deck cars were known as Park Avenues.

In 1962, the Park Avenue shared the 129.5" wheelbase of the standard DeVille, but overall length was trimmed from 222" to 215" for the Park Avenue.

These cars did not enjoy high volume. Who wanted a Cadillac with a truncated trunk? It is unusual to see one of these cars, but, when you do, it's immediately obvious that the cars are shorter than the conventional Cadillacs.

Yes, it was on the basis of Buick's strength that General Motors was formed, making it appropriate that the Buick Club folks are involved in planning some GM Centennial events during this year's Buick national meet in Flint.

A decision was made to preserve the original plating (not replate)on all of these items. That process (metal polishing and refinishing)has now been completed after 5 to 6 hours of work; and the items are back in my hands awaiting the "reuniting ceremony" on Oct. 11, 2008,in Texarkana when they will return to the rear seat armrest of the 1954 Buick Landau after 20 years absence. In regard to the thermos, the restorer Mr. Bill Fell of Pritchett, Texas, was amazed to find that the bottom of the thermos was actually welded on (of course using the state of the art as of the 1950s). Further there is a brace at the bottom of the thermos inside to prevent the tip end of the glass enclosure (the end through which the glass was formed) from touching the bottom of the thermos. In regard to the cups, the inner goldish glow has returned to all three of them. Bill feels that the steel (or tin) of the cups was first brass plated and then silver plated (the corrosion highly suggests silver plating, but it is possible that they were nickel plated instead). Bill then applied to the items "Zoopseal" which is a hybrid ceramic sealer. It is a protectorate, not a polish or wax. This sealer impregnates into the pores of the product being treated, stopping the process of oxidation. The items are cleaned then just with soap and water-no polishing. Beautiful results have been achieved. As soon as my secretary is back from vacation next week, I will post on this site current pictures post restoration. See what all you learn when you love a Buick! Charles D. Barnette

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charles_Barnette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A decision was made to preserve the original plating (not replate)on all of these items. That process (metal polishing and refinishing)has now been completed after 5 to 6 hours of work; and the items are back in my hands awaiting the "reuniting ceremony" on Oct. 11, 2008,in Texarkana when they will return to the rear seat armrest of the 1954 Buick Landau after 20 years absence. In regard to the thermos, the restorer Mr. Bill Fell of Pritchett, Texas, was amazed to find that the bottom of the thermos was actually welded on (of course using the state of the art as of the 1950s). Further there is a brace at the bottom of the thermos inside to prevent the tip end of the glass enclosure (the end through which the glass was formed) from touching the bottom of the thermos. In regard to the cups, the inner goldish glow has returned to all three of them. Bill feels that the steel (or tin) of the cups was first brass plated and then silver plated (the corrosion highly suggests silver plating, but it is possible that they were nickel plated instead). Bill then applied to the items "Zoopseal" which is a hybrid ceramic sealer. It is a protectorate, not a polish or wax. This sealer impregnates into the pores of the product being treated, stopping the process of oxidation. The items are cleaned then just with soap and water-no polishing. Beautiful results have been achieved. As soon as my secretary is back from vacation next week, I will post on this site current pictures post restoration. See what all you learn when you love a Buick! Charles D. Barnette </div></div>

Charles asked me to post these for him. HAPPY to oblige

First here are the BEFORE

621b_1.jpg

605a_12.jpg

THE RESTORATION

BillFellRestorer.jpg

cupsandthermosrestored2.jpg

THE FINISHED PRODUCT

cupsandthermosrestored.jpg

and a shot of the rear seat console where they are kept

rearseatlandau.jpg

Charles,

Do you get <span style="font-weight: bold">Hemmings Classic Car</span>? I received the June 2008 edition today. In the letters to the editor column there is a letter from a Robert K. Blair of Austin, Texas. In the article he states that his father was an executive at GM and had the Landau in his possession for a number of years. The last sentence is a question, "Any ideas who owns the car now"?

He writes this because of the picture of the Landau and the article about the motoramas in Issue #43 (Apr 08). Maybe you ought to give him a jingle.

stevo

I had opportunity to read Robert Blair's letter to HCC last night. Wow! It is remarkable that he lives in Texas, and I hope that he will be able to attend the ceremoney where the Landau's accessories are re-united with the car.

I'm excited that Mr. Blair can contribute his memories to the recorded history of this Motorama Buick.

Charles, please keep us posted.

Ever since this thread started, thanks to the Buick Club of America, it has been an incredible journey-now up to five site pages of material. One could say that this one Buick, the 1954 Buick Landau, has completely invaded the whole state of Texas. First of all Mr. John M. O'Quinn of Houston, Texas, purchased the car in 2006; then Mr. David Temple (Motorama professional writer) who lives in Longview, Texas, wrote about the Landau on several occasions; then I, Charles D. Barnette, who lives in Texarkana, Texas, secure an appearance for the Landau in our local Museum for Oct. of 2008; and now Mr. Robert K. Blair of Austin, Texas, was laid into our laps thanks to Stevo of this site. (Stevo says Mr. Blair in now our newest member.) Mr. Blair's father, Mr. R. F. Blair (now deceased as of five years ago),was given as a Buick Executive the privilege of driving the car in the New York-Connecticut area. In 1959 the senior Blair actually bought the car from GM for $750. Meanwhile the younger Blair got to drive the car on dates and even was able to drive it to his Senior High Prom! What other teenager in the whole world got to drive a Motorama Show Car on such occasions? (I rented a Mustang from Hertz for my Senior Prom.) Mr. Robert K. Blair explained to me that it was while he had the car at his fiancee's home that the original wheel covers were stolen from the Landau (they to this day are still missing). When the senior Blair was transferred to Flint, MI, by GM, the car was sold to a collector in 1961. The younger Blair also explained to me that he desires to see the car and is arranging a private view in Houston where the car now resides. I have also invited Mr. Blair to our Museum in October to see it reunited with its silverware. I credit his Father with saving the car from destruction which was the usual fate of Motorama Dream Car vehicles. So move over Alamo, Texas has a brand new treasure-the 1954 Buick Landau! Charles D. Barnette

Charles, I'm thrilled that you've made contact with Mr. Blair.

It occurs to me that this entire tale, including a report on the Texarkana display and the restored "silverware", will be a perfect follow-up article for "Hemmings Classic Car".

David Temple, I think it's worth pitching the idea to HCC for a full-blown article surrounding the Motorama Landau events -- after-the-fact, including photos of the silverware re-installed in the car.

By the way, Charles, you might find it of interest to read a couple of old topics regarding this car -- from 2004. You will see that the car generated significant discussion here when it appeared on Ebay.

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=202576&Searchpage=5&Main=50447&Words=%2BLandau&topic=0&Search=true#Post202576

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=233883&Searchpage=4&Main=58184&Words=%2BLandau&topic=0&Search=true#Post233883

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=236006&Searchpage=4&Main=58742&Words=%2BLandau&topic=0&Search=true#Post236006

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=241343&Searchpage=4&Main=60020&Words=%2BLandau&topic=0&Search=true#Post241343

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=242560&Searchpage=4&Main=60322&Words=%2BLandau&topic=0&Search=true#Post242560

Guest David_Temple

Brian, I am planning an article on the 1954 Landau though it may or may not be for HCC. It's really too early to pitch the idea to any editor since the car won't be available to photograph for a while but rest assured the story will be offered to a magazine. I look forward to the opportunity to photograph it. (Hopefully, the weather will cooperate!) By the way, I just reviewed an old article in Automobile Quarterly, Vol. 26 No. 3 (3rd quarter 1988) which has a few photos of the Landau in an article by Michael Lamm about some of the show cars of the 50s and 60s. (It was a source for some of the details about the Landau when I wrote the Motorama book.) At one time the show car appears to have been equipped with Buick "dog dish" hubcaps and trim rings. The thermos and cups were with it at that time.

What possible connection could the 1959 DeSoto have to the magnificent 1954 Buick Landau? Plenty! It may hold the key to the 100% restoration of the Buick Motorama Show Car as it appeared at the 1954 Motorama. As Mr. Robert K. Blair stated, the original (one set made only?) wheel covers were stolen from the Landau while parked at his Fiancee's home in the New York area (prior to 1962). Further when Mr. Bill Warner owned and restored the car beginning in 2004 he struggled as to what to do about wheel covers for the Landau. (My thanks to Brian for the references to this site's history on Bill Warner's contributions.) Not having a pattern for the original wheel covers, he went for the wires of the 1953 Skylark (the car still wears these today). Beautiful of course, but not the originals. Enters now the 1959 DeSoto into this saga. Check out its standard (14 inches) production wheel covers for the 1959 model year only; and you will see that but for the center insignia hole, they appear to be those of the Landau! How and why this occurred could lead to much speculation, but the proof is in what you see. Therefore, bottom line is that with very little alteration the Landau could have its original wheel covers back in 2008. I have a 1959 DeSoto wheel cover on order to see first hand for myself. David Temple has also found a derivative look of the Landau original wheel covers on the 1962 Ford Galaxie 500-390 convertible. However he and I agree that the brake cooling slots on the Ford cap would make it harder to convert to the Landau cap look. Charles D. Barnette

Derivatives of the original wheel covers of the 1954 Buick Landau can also be seen on the 1961 and 1962 Thunderbirds. Check it out! The Landau had a greater broad-based (GM, Chrysler, and Ford) influence than I originally thought! Of course as has already been pointed out on this thread, aside from the one-of-a-kind unique Landau Motorama look, the 1954 Buick Landau's greatest contribution to Buick was to prelude the rear open wheel wells on the Roadmaster body style. Buick Lovers-I am now placing the Landau "silverware" under 24/7 armed guard! I am about to burst with excitement about this great automobile being on Texarkana soil in October! I don't think I can wait- can anyone prescribe a quick cure? If so, hurry! Charles D. Barnette

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charles,

Quick Cure, (not really a quick or lasting cure), buy a Buick, join the BCA and have a ball.

Stevo </div></div>

Specifically, Charles, we need to find a '59 Invicta 4-door hardtop for you, preferably finished in Arctic White!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charles_Barnette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brian, with the new Invicta Show Car designed by Detroit and China now revealed, I want that 59 more than ever. I am going to see if I cannot find my father's exact car by October so that it can welcome the Landau to Texarkana. That will keep me out of mischief! Charles </div></div>

Then, of course, we'll invite you to Colorado Springs, July, 2009, for the "Fifty Years of the '59 Buick" celebration!

All of the Ford (including Thunderbird) derivative wheel covers (simulating the original 1954 Buick Landau wheel covers) contain 22 spokes. The similar 1959 DeSoto wheel covers contain 32 spokes. The original Landau covers contain 30 spokes. Thus again, the 59 DeSoto covers would be the best to convert to Landau. This also proves that the derivatives are merely copies without using the same tooling as was used for the Landau. It is hard to believe that GM could afford to fashion the tooling for one set of hubcaps just for one car without having some spares. If so where are they? Also when the thief got the Landau wheel covers, it is hard to imagine he was able to cash in on them for very much money, since they were exclusive to the one car. Charles D. Barnette

Here is Charles' comparison of the original 1954 Landau wheel cover design with the 1959 DeSoto production wheel cover. Charles attached a red, white, and blue disk to the DeSoto wheel cover center.

The similarity is striking, and a set of DeSoto wheelcovers could, with appropriate modifications, restore the Landau's wheel trim to a more original appearance.

Landau_wheel_cover_comparison.JPG

Guest El_Diablo

I also found the Landau on one of my photos I purchased via Ebay. The photo is always on Ebay available, this time: 260233471949

The image is great, but it's printed on cardboard, which decreases the quality. IMHO the printed version is not worth 10 USD. I'd give much more for the source (negative)!!

display.jpg

Guest David_Temple

El_Diablo, you can likely obtain a high-quality version of this photo through the GM Photo Store or GM Media Archive.