1934 LeBaron boattails

West Peterson

There are four original 1934 LeBaron boattail speedsters extant. Two are owned by one person. Until recently, the other two were owned by one person, Robert Lee. William Lyons repurchased the blue one from Lee. Now someone tells me that the green one is owned by someone else. Did Robert Lee sell the other as well? Or is there a replica green one that is confusing me?

post-33613-143137967723_thumb.jpg

Guest superods

There are more replicas than those discussed prior to my post. I know of one in Nebraska which did not sell on ebay last year. There are three or four more replicas, as well, out in Washington State.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are more replicas than those discussed prior to my post. I know of one in Nebraska which did not sell on ebay last year. There are three or four more replicas, as well, out in Washington State. </div></div>

All green?

We are all aware of replicas, my question was, are there any green replicas?

And did Robert Lee sell his original (which is green, and the car above... I think)?

Guest imported_Speedster

By Replicas, are we talking about customized Fiberglass bodied kit cars (there Are many '34s around, but not many speedsters) Or are we only talking about all metal original cars that have been modified from roadsters, etc. to be Speedsters (which to me is Not actually a Replica, but an original with modified body) ???

I'm not trying to correct anyone, I'm asking because I need clarification of correct (accepted) terminology, myself.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bodies are/were totally made up from new.</div></div>

So, that sounds like 'Coachbuilt' Not Replica, (since that's what coachbuilders did).

I had assumed that the speedster bodies, in question, were usually modified roadster bodies. Is that Not true?

If not, do they form the complete firewall, cowl, doors, dash, etc, Also? (they would Have to, to make a complete New body)

If they do, who has the dies and presses to form these parts? Surely those Can't be hand formed?

No. They are not modified roadsters. Nothing is interchangeable. All made up of wood, just like your '29. The boattails from 1930 are also made up from scratch... nothing interchangeable, not even the cowl.

I call them replicas. You call them whatever you want. But a tiger's tail, by any other name, is still a tail.

What... are you trying to aggravate me, or what? grin.gif

There was a red one judged at Hershey a few years ago. New bodies can still be bought and yes, they are hand formed, and most of the castings, wood etc is available. I spoke with a gentleman last year who was seriously considering building one. No idea how many replicas there are but certainly more than 4. No idea where the original 4 now reside, I don't travel in those circles.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What... are you trying to aggravate me, or what? grin.gif </div></div>

Hey, gotta get my 'Kicks' somehow. laugh.gif

No, I'm Not trying to 'Rock your Boat', I just didn't realize that there were people fabricating major original type body parts for '34 Packards, and if so I would like to know who and where they are, in case I ever need some.

The wood rearend is only a Small part of the complete body, tho.

That may be my next Project, if those body parts are readily available? I've always wanted a '34, even considered finding one of the fiberglass replicas, but what you are describing would be Much better.

William Lyons owns an original (blue), and Bob Bahre owns two originals (one yellow and one white, or egg-shell). Robert Lee (Reno) used to own the blue one AND the green one (above), but I'm trying to figure out if the rumor that the green one was sold out of his collection is true. Someone told me that a top executive from UPS owned it and has recently died. They thought there was going to be an auction of his collection sometime in the future.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> New bodies can still be bought and yes, they are hand formed, and most of the castings, wood etc is available. </div></div>

WOW, I would sure like to get more Infomation about where to get In on Some of That! smile.gif

I'll do an Internet search and see what I can find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The wood rearend is only a Small part of the complete body, tho.

That may be my next Project, if those body parts are readily available? I've always wanted a '34, even considered finding one of the fiberglass replicas, but what you are describing would be Much better. </div></div>

Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that the wood in the 1934 LeBarons is a MAJOR part of the car (including the cowl), with only the thin sheet metal skin covering it.

I think that most of the replicas (not all) you see today (both the boattail and the phaetons) were built by Fran Roxas up in Chicago.

Guest imported_Speedster

Okay, if those cars are calling Replicas (I call them coachbuilt), what do you call the Fiberglass '34 Replicas ?

And don't say 'Junk', cause I've seen some that look Great.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think that most of the replicas (not all) you see today (both the boattail and the phaetons) were built by Fran Roxas up in Chicago. </div></div>

Okay, if they are Fran Roxas restorations, That tells me that the Parts I would need are Not readily available.

Guest imported_Speedster

I could fabricate the wood body frame, but it's the stamped and formed sheetmetal, like the firewall assembly, that would be the Big Problem for me to make. So, I would have to have a source for those to build a 'Replica'.

I hope you're happy now, I called it a Replica. Hey, I can 'Conform to the Norm', even if I don't agree with it. wink.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, I don't call them restorations, either. </div></div>

Okay, I'll bite, What's your Favorite Word, like maybe 'Destroyations' ???

There was one partially completed replica for sale in Washington State maybe 2 years ago. Several folks can make you a body but you are likely looking at 30 grand or so just for the sheetmetal. Lots of wood in the thing, especially the rear end. Not an undertaking for the amateur nor for those who need to ask what it costs. Many folks are I guess unaware of the many absolutely stock appearing replicas out there, not just Packards but Duesenbergs and Lincolns as well. In the '60s and '70s there was a cottage industry cutting the tops off of Packard coupes and converting them into Convertibles.

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, I've had a chance to checkout several of the Conversions (which would be relatively easy to do) but have never been around one that was built from newly fabricated sheetmetal parts in body.

I don't pay anyone to fabricate body parts. If I can't make them myself or buy them over-the-counter or eBay, they don't get put together around here. wink.gif

And as you can guess, I don't have the '34 of my Dreams, Yet. blush.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The correct term in this case is "rebody". A correct chassis and a new body built to 1934 specifications but not original to the car. A fiberglass body would be a "replica". A fiberglass body on an original chassis would be a "crime".

Btw, The blue one went for 3.5 million back in Arizona a couple of years ago. In the 1950s the black (I don't know what color it is now) phaeton was available for 7500.00. About the same time the Mormon Meteor was available for the same amount.

As interesting aside, the original buyer of my Mercedes traded a 34 Lebaron Packard towards it (June 1936) and was given $4600.00 credit. The $4600.00 was a huge amount for 2 year old trade in back in 1936. The Mercedes was $10,000.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alsancle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The correct term in this case is "rebody". </div></div>

Ah yes, That's the word I was lookin' for. smile.gif Thanks

Guest ChrisSummers

Let's not forget that the Speedster replica bodies can't be just dropped onto an 1107 or 1108 chassis.

They were built for the shorter 1106, so donor chassis have to be built from scratch, as I think as Roxas did with his first two cars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisSummers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's not forget that the Speedster replica bodies can't be just dropped onto an 1107 or 1108 chassis.

They were built for the shorter 1106, so donor chassis have to be built from scratch, as I think as Roxas did with his first two cars. </div></div>

I'm not quite understanding what you're trying to say, Chris. They called it an 1106 chassis, but it's actually just an 1104 Super Eight chassis (which was available with no less than 11 factory bodies) with a 12 engine installed. Has anyone ever noticed that the wheels of the boattails (and of the sport coupes, for that matter) are Eight wheels and not 12 wheels? The only thing that needs to be built from scratch (aside from the body itself) are the hub cap medallions, as the 12 hub caps are different size than the Eights/Super Eights.

Guest imported_Speedster

It appears that the 1104 is the same as the 1107, not the shorter 1106 Speedster.

My data book 'The Packard Guide' by Robert Marvin, shows the following Model Vs Wheelbase data:

1104 - 142" (Super-8)

1106 - 135" (Custom-12 & Lebaron)

1107 - 142" (12)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It appears that the 1104 is the same as the 1107, not the shorter 1106 Speedster.

My data book 'The Packard Guide' by Robert Marvin, shows the following Model Vs Wheelbase data:

1104 - 142" (Super-8)

1106 - 135" (Custom-12 & Lebaron)

1107 - 142" (12) </div></div>

It could be right: Either way, there's an available chassis to build on, as the 1103 Super Eight was the 135" wheelbase.