322 performance mods?

Hello one and all. What performance could i expect out of a 322/ in a 1955 century with the follwing mods mid size cam

from ta performance( ta 30) =in .426 ext.426 at (0.050 in 228 ext 244 overlap@.0508 fitted with rhoades lifters to reduces duration 10 to 15 degrees 0.20 to 0.30 at idle revs then has full pump at 3500 rpm . Stage 1 heavier valve springs.Extractors,electronic dizzy and graft 600vac holley to standard 4 barrel manifold.I just wondering which set up might work better or what hp or even better what the car would drive like in the real world? Would it have loss of bottom, end to what extent ect.Is this type of lifter more trouble than what their worth on a old engine? I have been told that any particles in engine will block these very easly. Have had trouble with dynaflow so plan to put t400 box in . Any feed back would be greatly appreciated

Patrick Maiden BCAu 991 nsw problock@iprimus.com.au

pat

Putting in a 400 trans will require a trans adaptor. The ST-400 will mount to a 364 or a 401-435. but your 322 has a smaller bell housing.

Usually installing a cam with more overlap will hurt the bottom end, but the rhoads lifters will help

If you are going to the expense of an adaptor, I would suggest getting one for a 200-4R or a 700-R4 as they are both overdrive trannies . You could then play with the rear axle ratios to get whatyou are after.

Thanks old guy for your reply.Yes i will have to put a adaptor plate/ bellhousing onto 322 .I have a blown dynaflow in car at the moment (low speed blown, drive and reverse still work)Can have dynaflow rebuilt about $2500.00 auzzi dollars,And i am told cant be certain about being reliable.And may blow again.So t400 or as you said t 700 would be the go, and sounds like a dodge phoenix diff ? because in Australia there about quarter the price of other diffs, I dont have deep pockets but i would rather let the 55 sit and save for the right way to get this thing done than risk it happening again.also have post about the possiblity of changing standard diff fom enclosed to open drive train?

Patrick Maiden BCAu 991 nsw

Pat

I installed a cam in my convertible with similar specs. It was a reground 56 cam and I used stock 56 lifters and pushrods along with rebuilt rockers. It ran very well at higher rpm's but was much more sluggish than stock with the dynaflow in Drive using the stock 3.4 rear gears. I changed to 3.6 gears from a Special and now the drivability in Drive is similar to stock, but it also starts cookin' sooner. Everything else is stock: carb, single exhaust with quiet muffler, etc...it probably would do better with dual exhaust, more carb and 3.9 rear gears, but it is still fun as is.

Willie

Willie is being modest once again. His Century convertible that he has "tweaked" runs like a scalded dog. I have had the pleasure of riding in it while watching Willie put in L and then shifting at around 60 or so. I have also driven it and I can see why he likes to drive this car. It just flat out goes. I wish it wasn't so durned pretty so he would drive it more often...

• 1 year later...
Guest sledhead

Camcraft in Maryland has cams for 322 nailheads also Tom telv At Team Buick has roller adjustable rockers. I have a cam craft cam and am happy, running 650 eldbrock carb plan on the roller rockers at a later date. Tom is a GURU on nailheads.