visiting Detroit

1935Packard

It turns out that next week I'm going to be in Detroit on business, and I will probably have a full afternoon free and a rental car. Any ideas for Packard-related things to for an afternoon in Detroit? Is the old Packard plant worth seeing? The proving grounds?

Well, you should do a drive-by of the Packard plant, it's basically abandoned. I would not recommend getting out and exploring if you are alone. There is a lot of scrapping of metal by urban miners there and the law is absent. But you should by all means see the place. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1580+east+grand+boulevard+Detroit+MI&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.564064,59.238281&ie=UTF8&ll=42.379772,-83.02808&spn=0.00718,0.014462&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=0

The proving grounds is way north of the city in Utica and is not open on a regular basis, although send me a PM if you really want to see it, I might be able to put something together.

You should go to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, it's still really something to see, tho not much Packard stuff there.

The Detroit public library Automotive Historical Collection (NAHC), a truly wonderous colection, is no longer at the main branch on woodward, it is right downtown at the Skillman branch which is just off of Campus Martius. A very nice setting and the Packard collection is there, the photos and some documents.

Guest imported_Packards1

Motor City Packards had a meeting there and we were all thrilled with the Packard collection that is available for research.

Thanks, all. I've seen the Henry Ford museum, so I'll probably try the Detroit public library Automotive Historical Collection. Do you happen to know if it is just open to the public (after paying the fee), or do I need to call ahead and set up an appointment?