1933&34 Info

I have a 1933 pontiac. Its been in the family 50+ years. I am getting ready to refurbish it for the 3rd time. I used to have information regarding three different ratios for the ring and pinion gears. They were listed simpley as the hill,standard, and plains models. The markings say 467 9-90 2-33n on mine. I have lost most of the info we had accumulated through the years. Hollander also lists some chevy's with interchangeable rears. At one time we had a chevy rear in it but it snapped axles easily. Also I am looking for a front Trunion(u-joint) for a 34 pontiac. I have been out of the Old Car hobby for a long time and would appreciate any info I can find.

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to talk with Tom Hannaford at Then & Now Auto Parts in So. Weymouth, MA. He has a lot of old Pontiac parts in stock and in is very knowledgeable about this kind of stuff. If he does know, he has the books to look it all up and will do so. Phone is 781-335-1579

• 2 weeks later...

According to "PONTIAC The Complete History" which every Pontiac owner should have. There were 78,859 Pontiac built in the USA and 2,301 in Canada. There is no mention of the breakdown of models. In the text they only mention Sedans and Coupes (no convertables at all) but in the data section a 34318 Convertable Coupe is listed.

All of Pontiac's production records from that era were lost in a fire. I estimated the number of '36 cabriolets by figuring that Pontiac convertible production was probably similar percentage-wise as Buick & Olds. In 1936, 1.76% of Buick & Olds production were convertibles. Apply that to the Pontiac's total '36 production and you get 3,142 cabriolets. A low number, but probably fairly accurate. My guess is that most people who bought convertibles were young men - who preferred Ford's lower price and V8 motor. And there are so few of these cars left because the wood bodies rotted easily and they were junked. You can be pretty sure there aren't my '34 cabriolets left.

Kenny, what shape is yous in? Mine was repainted and a incorrect interior installed about 1960. I bought the car in 1976 and took it on a Glidden tour in 1978. Hasn't been driven since 1981. Plan to put it back on the road this spring. Bob

Greg, I purchased one on ebay a couple of months ago. Keep looking every 2-3 days and you will find just about anything. I find parts for my cars 10x faster on ebay than I ever did at swap meets. As an example there were only 2-3 venders at the Cad-LaSalle grand Natl meet in Savannah last year. Also try Kurt Kelsey in Cerar Falls, Iowa. He has an extensive supply of Flathead parts