Identification rear axle

Guest Rivdane

Guest Rivdane

My question is regarding the rear axle on my 66 Riviera. What are my options if I want to change ratio, or to positraction or something similar. Are there any aftermarket option, or do I have to look at the "junkyards"

My second question is regarding a friends 67 Skylark. I can´t identify rearaxle. It has <span style="font-weight: bold">A CC 2482</span> stamped on the axletube, but I can´t find that code anywhere or am I just not looking the right places ???

Any help will be appreciated, thank you!!

Brian,

Without trying to copy and past the page from a '66 chassis manual, I'll tell you what it says only about the 49000 series differential codes. (I hope this makes sense; it looks different in the preview than it does when I type it so I hope it's understandable on the forum page.)

Axle codes

Ratio- Std- Posi

2.78- PK- PR

3.07- PJ- PM

3.23- -- - PN

3.42- -- - PY

3.91- -- - PS

"FOR FIELD IDENTIFICATION, ALL AXLE ASSEMBLIES TO BE STAMPED WITH

LETTERS 1/4" HIGH ON BOTTOM OF AXLE TUBE AS INDICATED FROM CHART"

The chart shows that the code is stamped into the axle housing 3" from the flange on the differential where the axle tube is joined to the differential housing.

It also shows that POSITIVE TRACTION AXLES are indentified with an X stamped inside a circle. You should be able to read this on the bottom of the tube from what looks like in the illustration, the passenger side axle.

Dates are stamped with a three digit number indicating the day in the year mfg'd. The example in the book shows a PG (for model 46000 which I didn't list) 203 - for July 26.

Hope this helps.

Along with Jim Cannon and a bunch of other RivNuts, I encourage everyone to get hold of a chassis manual for the year Riv that they own. It's the best investment dollars they can spend. Let me know if this was helpful

Ed

Guest Rivdane

I have identified the rear axle on my own Riviera and it does not have a posi, which I would like to have and I would also like to change the ratio.

My question is: Is my only option to find a used rear axle with posi, from another buick from the same years, or can you buy new parts for the rear axle I have.

Brian,

You do have aftermarket options, but they are very expensive. One aftermarket option is to have Curry Enterprises in California set up a 9 inch Ford rear axle that can be adapted to your Riviera. You can get Posi, an Eaton Locker and just about any gear ratio you can imagine. Not cheap, especially factoring in shipping to Europe!

Just some thoughts!

Tim

Guest Rivdane

Hi guys

Thanks for your answers

My own research also indicated, that the full size Buick rear axles was unique to Buick, but very often a different perspective helps.

Does Curry Enterprises have a website? I have been searching the Net but I cant seem to locate them.

I know of several Rivieraowners here in Denmark who wants to upgrade their rear axle with posi and another gear ratio and they would be very interested in Curry Enterprises.

Dan,

Here's what I come up with on your '63.

788j2 - Black leather

SS - Bronze Mist - all Rivs were painted in lacquer, but I'm not sure about the acrylic part.

D - Accomodations for a radio

I6 - Tinted glass

N2 - Air Conditioning

S - Remote outside mirror

U8 - is a '64 code for both U6 - Power Vents, and U7 - Power windows; not sure about this on a '63.

X - needs a number; X1 is the guidematic, X2 is the Twilight sentinel, X3 is both X1 and X2.

Z4 - Auto trunk release.

Sounds like a very nicely equipped car. Only codes for accomdations needed from the Fisher Body plant are found on the Trim Tag, and those are only from the firewall back. Other options like cornering lights, four note horn, could be handled with different wiring harnesses right on the assembly line and required no mods to the body.

Ed

ED, wow! well it has been painted back to a gold color which is quite close to that orig bronze mist stll in the jambs...black leather?? it has saddle leather which looks to be orig and in almost show car condition. I cant see any indication of it ever being redone. All pillars, metal pieces, door panels, console, carpet, etc...all gold/tan....orig. headliner kind of off white....if this interior was redone then it must have been in the 60's from the dealer cause everything is correct and orig. It has the optic eye thing on the dash (not working) and that "x" on the tag does not have a # following...the car is also equip. with factory cruise which i thought we be indicated on the tag...my glove box "R" has no ribs and my spare is mounted on the pass. side trunk floor...i do have the four note horn and cornering lights i believe....Dan

Dan,

You might check the tag very closely, the trim number for saddle is 798, maybe the nine has some dirt in it filling up some space that would make it look like and 8.

The four note horn and cruise control are forward of the firewall and would just require a different speedometer head and wiring harness that could be dropped in on the assembly line. Therefore, these would not have required Fisher Body to modify a basic body for these options. I mentioned cornering lights; if your car these or if it has a tilt wheel, they would also have been an option that would not have required body modifications. D was needed to make sure that the rear seat assembly allowed for a radio speaker or perhaps wire clips along the insid of the body somewhere. As you start to look into this more, you'll see the relevance of what's on the trim tag and what's not.

I have the original window sticker for my car, and I'm attaching it so you can see what other options are listed that aren't on my trim tag. I just went out and looked at my trim tag; I've never paid much attention to it because I have the window sticker, but your car and my car have identical trim tags.

Besides what's on the trim tag, here's what else is on my window sticker. As you look at these additional options and think that nothing special had to be done to the body and for the most part, these could also be installed as dealer options, you can see why the trim tag has limited info.

D4 - AM wonder bar radio w/ electric antenna (only the D is on the trim tag. The wiring for the antenna was under the dash and in the engine bay. The D is perhaps for wire clips or screw holes in the back seat area for the speaker??) The radios that went into the dash could be done on the same line and they all used the same harness - no front speaker or stereo speakers in the rear.)

H1 - Elector Cruise

H2 - Cornering lights

J2 - Power seat

L1 - Tilt wheel

M9 - Super Deluxe cast aluminum wheel covers

O7 - four note horn

T4 - Oversize (7.60 v 7.10) white sidewall (black was standard) tires

U6 - Power vents

U7 - Power windows (from this, on both your car and my car, I can assume that U8 was the code for both as it was in 64.)

X1 - Guidematic

X2 - Twilight sentinel (perhaps someone can chime in here and tell us why only an X appears on the trim tag. Maybe just one clip on the inside somewhere to hold the wiring harness for either one or both?)

** Custom trim wth bucket seats in leather.

If you'll tell me what kind of radio your car has, I can tell you the code number for it. From my list, perhaps you can figure out what other options you have. Rear window defogger? Code K4, Wire wheel covers? Code M7.

Does your car have the 401 or the 425? I've included an attachment to help you indentify that as well. For a 1963, you'll want to look for a JT for a 401, or a JW for a 425.

Attn: Jim Cannon, did you get his info for your files? smile.gif

Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RivNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Attn: Jim Cannon, did you get his info for your files? smile.gif

</div></div>

Yes, Ed, I did. Thanks!

And thanks, Don, for supplying it.

ED,

Ya just looked again, tag is nice and clean and is an 8...for sure...looks like we have 2 of a kind here even down to the hubcaps and wonderbar...mine didnt work and i found a brand new nos wonderbar on ebay...score!!

I do have the JT earlier 401...was it the later 63 units which had the 425 avail.? yours a JT also?

have any tips on fixing my inop. twilight?

Dan

Mine is a JT, but it was produced in Febrary of '63. FB18733, almost to the half-way point of 40,000. It has the ribbed dash and most of the midyear changes, except for spare tire placement; my tire is still on the floor. Of the 40,000, all but 2600 or so are 401's. It was an option that most folks apparently didn't go for; there's no mention of it in the chassis manual for '63 so it came late and perhaps lots of salesmen weren't even cognizant of it. Somewhere along the way, someone must have redone your interior. There are absolutely no signs of black anywhere? Makes for an interesting discovery item.

More later.

Ed