Changing all locks (How)

Ames63

My son recently had his car stolen by a good friend of his roommates (some friend uh). the a^%-*%le actually stole my son's key and made off with the car one day. Well long story short we recovered the car (no damage) other than its security has been compromised, so we are looking to change out both the door locks, trunk lock and trap door lock. Our problem is how or where do we find a complete lock kit for all the locks. Right now I would have to purchase separate lock kits for the door, then the trunk and finally the trap door. Thank goodness the glove box operates by an inside switch. Can anyone give me some insight on getting this done?

Additionally the exterior door handle on my reatta broke on the back end. Where can I find another handle?

Guest campolojr

Ask your local locksmiths (one may be able to one maybe not check them all or ask if they know somebody who can) if they can repin it if you get all the locks or and tumbler outta the ignition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well long story short we recovered the car (no damage) other than its security has been compromised, so we are looking to change out both the door locks, </div></div>

I wouldn't change the locks, I would prosecute the @$$hole who stole the car and make him return any keys he may have. That way you protect yourself and maybe his next victim at the same time. At least he would think twice before he steals another car. Once a thief gets away with something like that it only tempts him to do it again.

A big Sunday Amen to that. Even if it was a stupid prank, it was stupid with a capital S. Drive home the point, and make a lasting impression on this guy. Keep in mind that I'm a vindictive dude when someone messes with my property. A vehicular theft charge would be a lot more pleasant than what I'd probably do to the guy...

If you really want to change the locks, that'll be a project. Two doors, trunk, ignition, trap door and storage bins all to be done. Any GM dealer should be able to supply locks that will work, as these were fairly standardized on 99% of GM product until the late 90's.

One thing for sure, it won't be cheap but the labor will be the real killer. Even if you do it yourself, this is probably a whole day of tear down and reassembly. I did this once on a car for a friend of mine, and it took every bit of an entire day. Of course, the security of the car is worth it IMO, but still a PITA.

KDirk - aka the equalzier