Speaker grill removal (door)

gr8scott

My speakers are beginning to sound like a popcorn machine, and I need to take a look to see whether they replacement. The grills covering them look like they should just pry/pop off, but are resisting having a bladed instrument stuck under them and I don't want to damage them. What's the recommended of removing them?

The grilles have tabs on the inside of the door panels and the door panels must be removed in order to get to them. Some have stated here that speaker removal is possible by pulling the bottom of the panel out away from the door far enough to reach behind it, but the safest way is too remove the panel.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is the stock radio it may not be the speakers that sound like popcorn. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the little green caps in the radio itself. Thanks to DTERRY I was able to remove the radio take it apart and replace the output capacitors. This is a very tricky and sensitive job. If you know how to solder circuits it can be done. Mine was done 2 years ago. No more poping and cracking in fact it sounds great! Thanks again DTERRY and MERRY CHRISTMAS! There is a post on this you can find it if you search.

Mike G

Wichita Falls TX

Guest MauiWowee

You are probably right about the caps, but the stock speakers leave a lot to be desired if they still work at all. An easy way to indentify the real problem is to use the F-R fader. cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MauiWowee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are probably right about the caps, but the stock speakers leave a lot to be desired if they still work at all. An easy way to indentify the real problem is to use the F-R fader. cool.gif </div></div>

OK, I'll bite, how do you use the F-R fader to determine if the problem is with the speakers or with the "caps" in the radio?

Guest jcc3inc

Sir,

Use the fader to redirect the soound to the back speakers so that you can re-evaluate the sound from different speakers.

Regards,

Jack C.