52 Studebaker Commander

Guest Leonard Shepherd

Guest Leonard Shepherd

I bought my 52 Studebaker Commander on eBay several years ago. The kid who owned it had sold the engine and transmission and was going to make it a street rod, but lost interest. I put a 64 Studebaker Jet Thrust 289 engine in it that I had bought on eBay. I drove it at the Studebaker Meet in South Bend this summer, but the engine wasn't rebuilt correctly and spun a bearing. I pulled the engine and am going to put a 1960 Lark 259 V8 in it. It has a 63 Lark 3 speed overdrive transmission and a 2002 GMC Sonoma rear end. I am hoping to get the engine back in it during the Christmas holiday.

post-52673-143137959167_thumb.jpg

post-52673-143137959169_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest Leonard Shepherd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allenfre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SO how old it is now if you bought this 52 Studebaker Commander on eBay several years ago? I guess it took you a massive "resto" job on this ; D

</div></div>

I bought it it on eBay in 2003. I didn't do much of a restoration. The body was in pretty good shape except for the right front fender which was damaged.

I was only planing to put an engine and drive train in it and just drive it, but I have spent a lot more money than I had planned.

Below is the eBay ad when I bought it and towing it home to Richmond, VA from Minnesota.

post-52673-14313797622_thumb.jpg

post-52673-143137976222_thumb.jpg

Guest Leonard Shepherd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allenfre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SO how old it is now if you bought this 52 Studebaker Commander on eBay several years ago? I guess it took you a massive "resto" job on this ; D

</div></div>

I bought it it on eBay in 2003. I didn't do much of a restoration. The body was in pretty good shape except for the right front fender which was damaged.

I was only planing to put an engine and drive train in it and just drive it, but I have spent a lot more money than I had planned.

Below is the eBay ad when I bought it and towing it home to Richmond, VA from Minnesota.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Leonard Shepherd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the one I've been offered. No engine in it but he says he "has all the parts"

52_studebaker.jpg

</div></div>

Did you decide to buy it?

All that pot metal around the windows will set you back a pretty penny, not to mention the grille. The "Korean chrome" on the 52s was very poor.

No big hurry. I still need to finish the Corvair, and the other day someone offered me "a car with wooden spoke wheels". I need to see that one. Just need 3 extra days to drive up the river to it in 4x4. Then the question is, should I tow a trailer just in case I like it?

• 2 months later...

Your "first law" is apparently true. About a month ago just for a lark I went to Baytown to look at a '65 Falcon Futura that was on the Houston Craigslist. It was listed for only $400 so I figured it would be a rustbucket piece of junk and we went in my wife's car. It did have terrible surface rust but was a complete car with no holes in the outer surfaces.

Long story short I bought it for $300 and had to come back home and get the trailer. It was worth thr trouble though.

Guest Leonard Shepherd

I agree with that law also. I went all the way to Minnesota to get my Studebaker and rented a tow dolly to bring it home to Virginia.

Here is a picture of my Studebaker at the Richmond AACA car show last month.

post-52673-143137993695_thumb.jpg