Idiot tune up questions 1930 DA

SLODodge1930

1930 Dodge DA 6

I cleaned out my Stewart Vacuum fuel pump tank, and rebuilt my unoriginal down draft carter BBR-1 several times (kept having severe stalling hesitation, especially under load unless it twas WAY revved up)

And just to further complicate my life, I cleaned and checked and rebuilt the Autolite distributor.

Car starts well (little spray of starter juice first) then idles way fast (seems to not have the hesitation at least not moving under load etc.)

I backed the idle screw all the way out, still too fast. Moved the distributor advancing some and sounded like it was going to slow down, then a backfire scared me and I shut her down.

I clearly have now caused another problem, but it might just be I have the timing way off?

Engine sounds ok at the fast idle (2000 rpm?)

Could someone tell me how to roughly get the timing in the arena so then I could see if the fast idle was from that...

I easily could have two problems, and I was going to take it to my mechanic but I was hoping I could at least drive it there (1.5 miles or so)

I'll go and search the archives for a discussion as well.

Dane

How to time a Dodge.

Set the engine so the #1 cylinder is at TDC. Look at the back of the cylinder head, there may be a pipe plug that unscrews giving access to the cylinder. This plug will be on the #6 cylinder only.

Put a stiff wire such as a welding rod or coathanger wire down the hole. You will be able to feel the piston. Turn the engine slowly by hand until the piston is at TDC (top dead center).

#1 and #6 come to the top at the same time.

The newer 6's have this feature. If yours does not have this, you can find TDC 2 ways. One is to use the timing marks on the front pulley if any. The other way works on all motors, take out the front spark plug and turn the engine until the air wooshes out. This is the compression stroke. Put your thumb over the hole and have someone slowly turn the engine until the pressure stops. This is TDC or close enough.

Now to the distributor. Take off the cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to the #1 cylinder wire. Check the points are opening. Back up the distributor until the points close and put a cigarette paper in between the points. Now hold the paper and turn the dist slowly forward until the cigarette paper pulls free. That is the moment the points open, and that is when she fires.

Congratulations you just timed your motor to fire at TDC. Usually that is where they are supposed to fire, or maybe a little sooner.

While you are at it go over the wires carefully and make sure they are all on the correct plugs. The firing order is printed on top of the motor.

It is surprising how easy it is to mix them up.

On the carb problem. It sounds like you have a major vacuum leak somewhere. Or your idle passage is clogged up and not allowing any gas thru.

Try taking out the adjusting needle, and blowing air into the hole. If you do not have a compressor a spray can of carb cleaner or even WD40 will do. You should see a spray inside the carb when you do this.

Put the needle back in, tighten it gently until it seats, then back off 1 1/2 or 2 turns.

Back off the idle speed screw till the throttle is closed and then screw it in 1 1/2 or 2 turns.

This should get it to start. Maybe with just a little throttle. Then you can adjust it better.

If it still idles too fast you must have a vacuum leak.

If you have the carb idle adjusted "all the way" it's getting air somewhere else. Gas, air, and spark. Are you sure you don't have a vaccuum leak? Did you do a compression test FIRST? BTW, you should NEVER have to use starting fluid. EVER. I'm not familiar with a BBR-1, but you say NOT original. Are you sure you don't have a gasket leak? Start the car and use a propane bottle to find your leak, engine will speed up when you get to it.

Thanks guys!

I'm an old backyard/driveway mechanic and frequently I can fix things without really knowing what I'm doing. Other times I get stumped with simple things.

Hopefully it will be warm enough this weekend to get out and check again.

My "aha!" moment was the "has to be getting air somewhere" line. Of course. I'm a tad slow on the uptake.

I'll keep ya posted, and thanks again!

dane