18" Wheels

Guest Ranger

OK, I have the Lucerne 17" chrome spokes on my black convert. and I like them.

I'd like to put more wheel on the coupe, I've been checking the take-off tire/wheel dealers and now it seems that the Lucerne wheels they're getting in are 18" chrome spokes.

I have clearence with the 17", has anyone tried the 18"?

Thanks,

Jim Too

Ron,

No, I like the wheels, they stay on my Northern Reatta. I just picked up the coupe for my AZ cruiser and want something to replace the stock wheels on that one, the void in the rear wheel wells seems too large.

There has been talk about bigger wheels filling the opening and that is possible BUT a wheel/tire that is larger in overall diameter than the factory wheel/tire can cause problems. First it changes the speedometer and odometer.

There are those that say it also affects the electronics, ie the ECM, BCM and ABS brake controller all communicate and without reprograming, there might be problems.

This is not to say you cannot run 17", 18" and maybe even 20" wheel/tire combo. But you must size the tire to compensate for the increase in the rim size.

The following numbers are not gospel but they are close.

215/65-15 (1988-1990 factory size)

215/60-16 (1991 factory size)

245/45-17 = within 1.7% of original diameter

245/40-18 = within 1.1% of original diameter

I have not looked at the numbers for 20" wheels

Point made and taken Barney.

I'm running 235-55-17's on the convert, I did the online tire check and found that 245-50-18's are .4" larger in diameter than my 17". Wondering if anyone has tried the 18" wheels and what tire size they used.

Thanks again,

Jim