hood latch problem

b6vt

I went out to install my gas tank sending unit and was going to open the hood to disconect the battery. The hood latch would not open the hood on my 48 lc., I have exhausted all of my ideas--any one have a similar situ?

Pls advise. Glenn Lorei (b6vt)

This is not a fun thing to happen. If the release cable is not broken and still attached to the arm of the latch you may be able to open the hood by moving the front of the hood side to side while someone pulls the release knob. If this is the case you will need to readjust the latch and plunger before going thru this again. If the cable is not moving the release lever on the latch then you will need to insert a right angled bar thru the left upper grill and try to work the lever to the "left" to release the latch. This is not fun and will require some patience.

You really don't need to disconnect the battery to install the fuel sender. Power is only applied to the circuit when the ignition switch is on. Good luck

Peecher, you came thru again. You were 100% correct when you said it would take patience. It will take several trips to the confessional and I'm not even Catholic!!! I ended up using a hole saw to create an access through the bottom of the pan in front of the radiator. Reached up with a 3/8 socket extension with a screw driver end on the

socket extension and popped that sucker open. I found that the cable stop had slipped--only one set screw in the cable stop. Right now and all night, the hood latch and all the nuts, bolts and washers are soaking in solvent and that kind of mind bender won't happen again. The two inch hole in that sheet metal pan will get a plastic plug.

Guest imported_V12Bill

I ran a second cable from the latch, to under the left fender that can be pulled with a pair of pliers. I have also experienced a weak spring that would not lift the hood up when the latch was released also. Not a fun position to be in.

The sending unit works. I am going to bend the arm,which will require removing the unit again. At this time it reads full with a half tank of gas. Another strange thing. The gas guage reacts to the amount of charge the generator is putting out. The more output(the more rpms)

the more the guage reads--seems like some else was having that problem. Any wisdom on that one?? glenn Lorei (b6vt)

Glenn, the only logical answer for that one is that you are not grounded properly. The braided ground cable on the positive post of your battery is supposed to have a hole in it that bolts to the edge of the battery box before ending up with the big terminal on the headbolt of the engine. This will properly ground the body, and should solve the problem you are having