1974 ? Buick LeSabre serial number help

vrod

I printed out a list of the serial numbers that a memeber put on here for this car but I can not figure what type of 455 the car has in it. It is a convertible also ( black with black top. It does have a dual exhaust too. I am wondering if this is the right year??

The tag has the following -

ST74 4BP67 Y 047233BDY

TR 437 AM6 19 BPNT

09C 0527

C60 879

I hope someone can help me out!

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vrod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ST74 4BP67 Y 047233BDY

TR 437 AM6 19 BPNT

09C 0527

C60 879

I hope someone can help me out! </div></div>

74 - 1974

4BP67 - LeSabre Luxus convertible

Y - Wilmington, DE assembly plant

047233 - production number - should match the last part of the serial number

437 - Oxblood trim (is that red?)

19 - Regal black paint

The other characters would refer to option codes. One thing I don't get is that along with the paint code, there should be a character for the colour of the convertible top - A (black), C (white), L (beige), or H (burgundy).

The engine can be decoded from 2 locations - the serial number immdediately after the 4BP67, or from the engine production code - on the 350 and 455, that would be between the left exhaust manifold and the two rear spark plugs. One problem with this is if the engine was replaced, it can be a bit perplexing.

I have another source, that if I interpret correctly, states that LeSabres were standard with a 175 hp 350, but could also be had with a 225 hp 455. I may be wrong, but it seems to me the LeSabre Luxus had the 455.

OK...just re-read your post stating it is a 455. Back to my first source, a 2-bbl 455 produced either 175 or 190 hp. 4-bbls went to 210 or 230 hp, with 245 for Stage I and 255 for the Riviera GS. If you could either post the relevant code from the serial number or the engine production number, then we'd be able to verify for you.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thriller -Thanks. I will try and see if the guy has a registration with him that he could give me the number. I guess you can tell I don't know much! He told me it was a LeSabre. Is this the same thing as a LeSabre?

Thanks for the help.

Doug

Guest imported_Thriller

The LeSabre Luxus is essentially a package on the LeSabre...kind of like the first GTO was a Tempest.

There is a local fellow here that I know who is restoring one of these.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smartin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">B = Black convertible top

09 C = Built 3rd week of September 1973

Definitely need a VIN to verify factory engine option.. </div></div>

Duh...don't ask me why I wasn't able to pick the B out from the PNT...sigh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thriller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

047233 - production number - should match the last part of the serial number </div></div>

The Fisher Body Number (production number) will NOT match the last 6 of the VIN.