Shift knob TC

carhop

• 1 month later...
Guest My TC Toy

The small forward facing allen screw will loosten the shifter handle body only. You also have to lift upo the push button which is clipped to the shift lock rod below. Use a small screwdriver to lift up the puch button. Then CAREFULLY , VERY CAREFULLY pry up the centre shift lock rod. This rod ic clipped to a metal piece at the bottom. Oncl up the shifter body can be lifted off. What I did is filed down the plastic clip at the bottom of the lock rod so it wouild be easier to remove the mext time. Hope this is helpful.

Redbee, I'm sure you are talking about the knob on the automatic transmission shifter. Just loosen the screw as has been explained previously and then just give the thing a SWIFT jerk up. The detent release button will come right along.

For you lucky owners of the wooden 5 speed knob, refinishing it with anything but linseed oil is a sin. I cleaned the flaking shiny stuff off with steel wool then rubbed linseed oil into the virgine wood. This makes it look natural and feel soooo very smooth in my hand when shifting the transmission.

Guest FILBERT

Are all the automatic shift knobs REAL wood, or genuine artifical imitation?? Mine sure looks fake to me! P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! Santa Ana winds here, so hot and dry, and perfect weather for a topless 2008 drive around the beaches. Sorry snow people!

Lou, I bought a can of the stuff. I didn't boil it though.

I sure like the way the knob turned out. You need to apply several 'coats' on the linseed oil. I just poured it into my hand and then rubbed it into the wood. It takes a little time but it turns out great.