Refinishing Tools

Guest Tarheel

Guest Tarheel

I am preparing to "restore" some tools, and I wonder if anyone on the list has definitive information on applying the original black oxide type finish which was on some tools such as tire irons, pressed steel sockets, and flat spanners?

I know that a lot of these are now finished in a flat "equipment" black paint- maybe this is the best

compromise?, but I would like a more original finish, such as the black finish on tools when came from the manufacturing process

I am familiar with the gun bluing salts, and I have used a "phosphate based kit from Eastwood to do nuts and bolts. This was close, but seemed a bit rough and required a clear coat to prevent rust.

If there are any lurking judges, restoration business owners, or metallurgist from a former life, please offer opinions and instructions on the "best" or currently accepted method for judging.

Have you tried to replicate the color with powder coating? There are different clears that you can use to topcoat the color. I would think using satin, semi-gloss or full gloss over a flat, semi-gloss or gloss color should get you close. I've done this with parts and tools although I've not tried to match black oxide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ivan_Saxton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reference book you need is Fortunes in Formulas, by Hiscox and Sloane. You should be able to obtain a copy through an online books listing such as Alabris or Abebooks. The 1939 print copy I obtained thus has a photo of Thomas Edison as frontispiece.

Ivan Saxton </div></div>

Have seen similar formula books at the library.

Guest Tarheel

Thanks everyone for the information-

The chemical process that Mark Shaw's company uses seems to be a variation of the black "parkerizing" finishes used on guns and ammo clips. These are phosphoric acid and usually manganese dioxide solutions. The chemicals from his company source are in large batches for industrial quantity use.

Small kits are available from Brownell and other companies probably Birchwood Casey as well) for gun refinishing.

I think I will try one of these kits as I probably couldn't buy the chemicals in today's controlled market anyway, although a little "googling" found some do it your self instructions.