Status of '29 645 Sport Coupe Restoration Project

Guest Speedster

Guest imported_Speedster

Yep, I Know, and it's probably the First thing I'll think about, every time I look at the car, Also. blush.gif

Oh well, Maybe Someday. wink.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

Here's a picture of one of the shock oiler tanks that were on the 645. It's about 2" in diameter. The special mounting bolt, that is drilled for passage thru it, replaces the shocks filler plug. The tank part of it doesn't have anything inside, Only a hole going down to mounting bolt, for passage of oil and air.

Does anyone know if these were installed by Packard or Dietrich, or are they an aftermarket item ???

post-33516-14313797995_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

So, am I the only one that has ever seen those attached Shock oilers ???

The ones on front shocks are Very visible.

I'm starting to think they may have been installed by Dietrich?

(there's No name or number on them)

(I did the 'R' scribed in cover to let me know it goes on right side. The left side ones are made in mirror image of that one)

I checked them again and I have 2 good ones for Right side but both for left side shocks are damaged.

Rick,

They are definitely not on my car. Was leaking a big problem with these shocks? Or overheating? It seems like a reservoir, either to take up extra when the fluid gets hot or to provide fluid for when they leak.

BTW, the shock I removed has a kind of grinding feel to it when I move the lever arm. Am I to understand that this is not normal; that the grinding doesn't act to dampen the springs? Maybe some sort of sandpaper-like friction mechanism? And your supposed to replace the sandpaper every once in a while? Yeah, that's it.

Tom

Guest imported_Speedster

The shocks do Normally make a sound when moving the arm.

Sort of a whooshing sound and it's fairly loud. It's the oil being forces thru a small hole in chamber.

But should not be a grinding sound.

Did you check if it still has oil in it.

I've not found any leaks in mine and I don't know of any heating problem.

I think the oiler attachments were installed to make filling the shocks easier, since you are pouring the oil into the tank and Not into a small fill-hole and Not having to worry about Over filling and locking it up, since you can watch the level in tank and stop when oil starts to back up into tank. The expansion air space in small tank is enough to keep it from locking up.

Guest imported_Speedster

If the arm moves freely, then it's Empty.

But if you feel a strong resistance to movement in both directions, then there's oil in it and it's Working.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found the better you make the car, the quicker some are to point out the flaws as they stick out more than a car with a lot of flaws. </div></div>

Exactly!!!

I find myself doing the same thing, but mainly when someone tells me that so-and-so just spent (insert huge amount of $$$ here). Then I start looking at it with a fine tooth comb because for that much $$$ I better NOT find anything!!!

I DO NOT point out the flaws, though. Not to the owner, anyway. If I'm appraising a car's condition for a client who wants to buy it, I will.

All in all, it takes the fun out of looking at the car when you feel you "have to" inspect it for flaws.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rick

I doubt that Dietrich would have installed those. </div></div>

What made me think that, is that if they were Aftermarket there should be a makers name and number on them somewhere.

I was hopeing someone had seen them on another car, that would indicate the Source.

The set that I bought recently do not have those. Next time I'm in the Museum, I'll take a look. I know there are two cars there that still have those shocks, the rest have been updated with the 1931-32 version (common). I once was told by an "expert" Packard restorer that these shocks were very poor, therefore very few 1929-30 Packards have the correct shocks mounted. However, I asked the guys at Five Points Classic Auto Shocks in San Diego and they say they're a very good shock for the car. So... there you go.

Why were so many replaced early on???... if they were so good???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rick

I doubt that Dietrich would have installed those. </div></div>

Yes Dietrich would had gotten Pep Boys or Autozone to install the shocks smile.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

I went to the plating shop yesterday to check their polishing work on the bumper bars and they are really earning their money on these. I thought I had done about 90% of the sanding work but after seeing all the work they are doing I've revised that to about 50%. wink.gif

And they are not ready for plating Yet. smirk.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

Anyone know of somewhere I can get a set of reproduction locks for the sidemount spare-wheels on my '29. If not repros, does anyone have any for sale at a desent price.

I keep getting outbid on the ones on eBay. I'm just not gonna pay that much for original Oakes-locks, since they are usually only 1, of unknown condition, and usually don't have the keys.

If not, I may have to make my own or just put some tin-foil on some rubber-stoppers. blush.gifgrin.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

Yep, at $300. ,I'm stickin' with the tin-foil. smirk.gif

It won't be easy, but I may try to make my own, if I can figure out a less complicated lock to hold them in.

Guest imported_Speedster

I got the bumpers back from plating and have them installed.

They're not perfect, but considering what I started with they are good enough for me. The front bars (first picture) are the ones I made from flat-stock and round-rod and the rear is original (without the Rust holes). grin.gif

See Pics:

post-33516-143137981033_thumb.jpg

post-33516-143137981039_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Thanks, I think the chrome nut-covers over SS-bumper-end-bolts look pretty good. I'll probably leave them that way and not make original type bolts.

Guest imported_Speedster

Thanks, I'll try to get it out in the sun-light soon to take some pictures.

Guest imported_Speedster

I now have the bumper mounted headlights (spot lights I think) installed and working. When it gets dark I'll try to find out what light pattern they have. grin.gif

I wasn't sure if I wanted to mount them or not, but thought I'd give them a try, since I've had them a long time, just collecting dust. wink.gif And there was already a hole drilled in the dash for the switch. '20s type wire was going to bumper, so it must have had bumper mounted lights originally. I had to replace the original push/pull switch.

They do look pretty Cool, tho. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey! I represent that remark! grin.gif </div></div>

West,

I thought of you this week when watching athe Amelia Island RM aution on TV. The announcer was asked what he thought of the Duesenberg up for sale He said what a lovely car, though the chrome wheels "tarted" it up. smile.gif

"lovely"???... "tarted"?? Not my language. Must have been a Brit. But, I do tend to agree with the Brits when it comes to black sidewall tires and painted wheels, and that they don't tend to over restore cars. I believe the Brits value an unrestored car more than a restored car, just as I do. At the very least, they value a car that gets used the way it's supposed to be used.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, Rick

Did you see the George Washington inlay on this limo?</div></div>

Very Strange, most of it looks good, but the figures look like they were drawn in with a ballpoint Pen? If it's original, it certainly is different than any others I've seen ???

post-33516-143137982035_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Okay, here's the one I used as a guide:

(figures are Much different)

post-33516-14313798204_thumb.jpg