Buying Paint online

jerry1centmi

The mixing ratios should be on the side of the can.

What brand of paint are you using? I have PDF's of 99% of the paint sheets out there.

I'm an automotive painter by trade and I wouldn't buy any paint mail order.

Stick with a name brand like PPG, Dupont, RM, Spies/Hecker etc... The lower end brands look good on the short term..... but not the long term!

Valspar is a "value priced" paint, however quite a few people I've talked to have used it and liked it.

I've never used it so I can't comment first hand!

Larry who owns modelacolor.com is a good man to deal with- I buy all my House Of Kolor paints from him.

I'd recommend the urethane paint, it's tougher than enamel and easier to maintain than lacquer.

Which brand paint does your local dealer sell?

There are Inter Mix (aka IM numbers) numbers available for the paints. Most paint places have a modern equivalent in modern tints.

Here are the IM number (the number in the PPG column):

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/goldcoastmodela/techtips/Paintcodes.html

Do you have the Paint Handbook available from the national clubs? That book has all the correct paint chip colors. You just need to be careful and view the chips with a neutral frame around the chips. The white surround will make the colors look dark. Are you also aware that true copra and chicle drab are really tan colors and they have no green in them?

If your local dealer says he can not mix the paint call up the manufacturer of his paint and talk to one of their reps. They may have an equivalent mix and the dealer may not understand that the mixes are available. I did this with my local dealer.

Keep in mind that the cheaper paints are more likely to need more coats to get proper coverage. On the other hand, guys have been successfully using Valspar and House of color for quite some time.

Cheaper paint like Omni is junk.......

Those numbers are not IM numbers..... Very simply their paint coding system, not to be confused with the old Intermix set up.

Sometimes you can cross reference the numbers, but this is more common with numbers for modern cars.

In some cases PPG numbers won't convert to DuPont numbers. etc....

most of the IM numbers you find now are worthless as the tint bases and mixing ratios have changed.

I've never had any problem with my local PPG jobber coming up with the proper mix codes from the color names, but they have to use the hardbound books, not the on-line system. (I use their MTK line of single stage urethane for most everything) It may be too glossy if you are looking for an exact reproduction of the original finish. Worst case, if you have decent samples, they should be able to scan the color and come up with a valid mix formula.