Dorothy's tear down - it's getting depressing....

Gary_N

Yes you did. In fact "Bobo", my De Soto is way more depressing that Dorothy! But a good car to develop my metal shaping skills!!! Anyway, thanks. Now if I could only get past....one day in the garage....two days to recuperate.....one day in the garage, etc!

Gary

1500 hits and their still comming!!! This post ROCKS! DERRRR, DER duuuuooooo DOOOO WOOOOAAAAA WOOOO WOOOAAAA.

Listen to that BEAT! laugh.gif

What's the matter? Can'cha play the air guitar??? shocked.gif

Haaa Ha haaa...... grin.gif Dave!

Dave:

I missed a pic that I need to send to you. On my way back to the junk yard to pick up a 322, that I'm not supposed to pick up, I'll try to remember to get the shot. I'm sure you will love this one. And, I'll give you a hint, it's not a Buick, and it does not have wheel, at least rubber ones.

Gary

Guest rlbleeker

Getting back off topic, a few years ago I bought a lathe from a scap dealer with the intent of using it for parts for another lathe I have with a bad gear in the headstock. When I got it home and started looking it over, there's a little brass tag that says "Buick Motor Div". What are the chances of that? Anyway, I put power to it and it runs so nice, I'm gonna clean it up and use it to make more Buick parts!

post-31393-143137955507_thumb.jpg

After all this talk about <span style="font-size: 20pt">BIG IRON</span> I thought I would post a picture of my oldest and <span style="font-size: 8pt">smallest</span> genuine antique engine.

100_1282.jpg

Yeah, It is only about 6 inches long. Sits by my computer and is admired daily.

100_1283.jpg

Patented Nov 20, 1900. These were sold as a novelty item by more that one company and were made in the Hartford Conn. area, or so I have been told. It is a "Flame licker" and was made to run on "city gas" The manufactures name escapes me though. This belonged to an old friend that is no longer with us and holds some sentimental value to me. smile.gif Dave!

Stevo, the ruler is actually a Caterpillar advertising piece. I would guess it to be 1930's. The back reads CATERPILLAR - DIESEL ENGINES - TRACK-TYPE TRACTORS - ROAD MACHINERY. it slides out to 36" This was also given to me by a friend that passed just this year and also holds some sentimental value.

RLB, I remeber years ago playing with this little motor on the workbench with my old friend and I think we ran it for a short time on accetylene or maybe a mixture of that and oxygen. It is so long ago I cannot really remember. The rod and crankshaft is so frail looking in it that I don't want to take a chance and break it. So the answer, I guess, is yes, I have seen it run, but not in a very long time. smile.gif Dave!

A Buick Lathe. Or at least one that made Buick parts! How cool is that! grin.gif

Guest ZondaC12

WOW.

My buddy has a 1975 Ford LT-11 lawn tractor that he brought home when he was 10 or 11 I think. Had a "FREE" sign on it, sitting on the side of a neighborhood road at the end of the driveway.

And I thought THAT was impressive/out of the ordinary.

YOU win the prize for this one. Actually the pictures you posted of the road grader were enough....then the pole-barn. Just wow. Freakin' great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy has a 1975 Ford LT-11 lawn tractor that he brought home when he was 10 or 11 I think. Had a "FREE" sign on it...... </div></div>

And to think.... That was'nt even built yet when I started collecting. crazy.gif We had a local club start here in 1976.

(Lordy, lordy, That was 31 years ago,..already???) Garden tractor pulling has made a revival in recent years and the stuff I see collectors bringing now, was new back then! eek.gif To me a Genuine Antique Tractor is one on Steel Wheels from the early steam traction engine days to the 1930's. But then again..... Time marches on........ Doesn't it... wink.gif Dave!

Guest rlbleeker

Yeah, definitely wouldn't want to break it. Do you think it a salesman sample? A toy? A patent sample?

The lathe is a '57 American, so weird that a machine from a Buick factory would end up in my shop. Doesn't look like they used it much.

I think the first engine I rebuilt was for a '60 vintage Cub Cadet lawn tractor, dad still has it. I've got a Bradley garden tractor that I used when I was a kid. I agree, a real antique tractor is on steel. A lot easier to take a garden tractor to a show though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A lot easier to take a garden tractor to a show though. </div></div>

And that's why I created Dandy Dave's li'l Digger. grin.gif

No need for 50 Ton Lowboys and Big Mack Trucks.

From what I have been told the engine was sold as a Novelty item, or I guess you could call it a toy, Yeah. smile.gif Dave!

Hey Stevo, Canadagua must be in your back yard! I've been to that show and I have had a great time there. The Historical Construction Equipment Collectors were there in 1991 which was the first show I had Dandy Dave's Li'l Digger at. Lot's of Steam out there. Like they said in the old days. When your HOT..... Your Hot. And those steamers sure are HOT! I think that one's a Case laugh.gif Dave!

Dandy Dave

This one is located in Lockport. I have lived in Lockport for 13 years and this has sat in the same spot all of that time , but you can see, they trim the grass under it. It must be highly regarded or they would not care about the grass.

By the way, I took this picture today.

Stevo

Say, No snow out there yet Stevo? I'm sure the boiler is condemned. I think they drop the pressure like 5 pounds a year until there is not enough to run the old double acting engine any longer. Then they become a lawn ornament, or sometimes the boilers get rebuilt but it is very expe$$ive. A friend of mine had one done several yeas back and I think it was like $40,000 then. I bet that tractor is a family heirloom.

<span style="font-style: italic">"Yes sir sonny, my Great granpappy plowed the fields with that one. Used to admire it from the front porch rocker. And all his old timer pals would talk about the good old days for hours." </span>

Yeah, I been to a few of those places. Not many of those Good Old Timers left that could tell you about threshing, or plowing a field with a steamer, let alone working with a gas tractor and a flat belt silage blower.

Not enough snow around here to even put on a jacket. I have been wearing a light denim shirt as a jacket so far. I used to look forward to snow but now, if it comes,...it comes. What will be will be. I can take it or leave it. Does that mean I am getting old?

grin.gif

Stevo

Guest imported_Thriller

You guys might be interested in the Western Development Museum - in August, I think, at the Saskatoon site, they have an event where they run a couple of the steam engines.

The Moose Jaw site is based on the History of Transportation...planes, trains, and autos...there's only a couple of Buicks there, but one is a railway car...I think I have a photo somewhere. There's also a grader and some other equipment there.

There's also Reynolds Alberta Museum south of Edmonton. It is sometimes billed as an industrial museum. They have some older heavy equipment there too, although it's been a few years since I've been there.

The HCEA had their national meet at the Reynolds Alberta Museum several years back. I did not get to that one but heard it was a great show. At the Candagua NY show they line up 10 or 12 steamers every year. Hundreds of gas engines and tractors. Thanks for the info Thriller. On to all things Buick........

On the Prowl for a Reatta. grin.gif Dave!

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the Prowl for a Reatta. grin.gif Dave! </div></div>

There's always some available Dave...if you don't have one yet, you're either being too fussy or don't really want one wink.gifgrin.gifcrazy.gif

I'd like to see the kids try to knock that mail box down with a bat from a moving car.

Wait, on second thought I don't want to see that. It may be an annoying thing but bones are more important than the mail in the long run.

But that is quite a holder.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Cool man, now that's a heavy mailbox post.

I've got a feeling Dave probably has his own unique heavy mailbox post. smile.gif

Looks like if ever there will be a chance to show off some of my old iron, this thread is it. so

post-32987-143137956104_thumb.jpg

Don't let the Decal on the Garden tractor hood fool you. eek.gif It is the remains of a Cletrac HG or an Oliver OC3. Both models were basically the same tractor. The model designation was changed after Oliver bought out Cletrac in 1946. We have an old time Oliver - White dealer here that always says, "You know there's only one kind of green tractor that's any good" And in his opinion it ain't "John Deere." We that own John Deere's around these parts forgive him though cuz he sure is a good old Buckaroo.

A little Trivia.

Cletrac ( Cleveland tractor Company ) Was started by Rolland H. White around 1918. Also, the one in the same that produced the White automobiles, trucks, and in the 1800's, the White Sewing machine. The first Cletrac models to roll off of the production line was the R, the H, and the W. His initials. Cletrac was sold to Oliver in 1946. White bought Oliver out in the early 70's. Like the old saying, "What goes around, comes around!"

Now you know the rest of the story! grin.gif

Actually I had a very ruff Cat model 30 at one time that I was going to use at my mothers place for a mail box holder as it is at "30 Woodland Road" A friend showed up and wanted it for parts so I let him have it. My mail box is just a plain old box on a post. smile.gif Dave!

Mr. Earl,<span style="font-size: 17pt"> <span style="color: #FF0000">BRING IT ON!</span></span>

What brand is the little mower Mr. Earl? I had a collection of little one horse mowers at one time and think they are neat. My dad has Draft Horses and we had a lot of old horse drawn stuff around the farm. We even had a Studebaker Buckboard that is now owed by the local veterinarian. The vet also owns a 1953 Buick Woody that is all original. smile.gif Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's always some available Dave...if you don't have one yet, you're either being too fussy or don't really want one </div></div>

I went to look at one yesterday Thriller. Yeah, I'm being fussy. I know what I want and when the time and car is right, I'll go for it. grin.gif Dave!

Guest imported_Thriller

My father had bought a brand new White tractor in the early to mid-70s...his first and only with a cab...it had A/C that never worked properly. Two wheel drive with duals.

• 2 weeks later...