Manifild installation

Earl B.

I have had my manifolds porcelainized. I have everything ready to install. It may be several months before I can get back to the car to do any work again. To keep the ends of the manifolds from rusting, would it be ok to put on a light coat of grease before installation? Thanks for all your help, B

Tbird, I had them done several years ago, and used some company in Kentucky because a friend with a 901 had his done there and said they did good work. I recently gave the company name to another friend with a 901, and when he tried to contact them, found the company is out of business.

We played on the internet, and found a company in (I think) Missouri. They gave him a very low price on the deal, but, from what he says, it's a bad job....

Thank you both so much for the help...B

I gather you lnow how to install a manifold,I would offer advice to anyone with a porcelainized manifold to help it stay looking good for a longer amount of time. Warm the car up with some very easy driving until the compleate manifold has a chance to expand.the porcelian and the cast iron have a different expansion rate. vale.m.rybikowsky

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

We played on the internet, and found a company in (I think) Missouri. They gave him a very low price on the deal, but, from what he says, it's a bad job....

Thank you both so much for the help...B </div></div>

Hopefully it's not PRAIRIE AUTO PORCELAIN in Minn that I was planning to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not them Tbird.... He talked to them and fell over at the price they quoted him. I'm just lucky I had mine done years ago...B </div></div>

Well compared to what it's going to cost to chrome the grill shutters, not bad. Well I'm on the home stretch to "finishing" my car though I know a lot of people out there thought I should had stopped right after I bought it smile.gif However I'm going to save a bunch by not chroming the wheels.

I thought about ceramic coating, but I was convince that this guy does a good job on the porcelain. He even has a break in recommendation for the units once you put them on the car. I'm trying to get the car to as original as possible though I heard there is a risk with porcelain. He did indicate that Jaguars were the worst as their exhaust manifolds ran a lot hotter.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_Speedster

Beautifull! smile.gif

Let's Hope it Stays that way, for a Very Long Time.

I noticed the Box is Great too, well engineered. wink.gif

I saved a picture of it, in case I ever need to build one.

I spent a weekend on that box using the advice of Tom Sparrow, the owner of Prairie Porcelain. He expressed great concern of the safety of the manifold getting to him in one piece without ears etc broken. Also he benfits as he does not have to take the time to make a crate to ship back the final product a sthe last thing he wants is his finished product to be damaged. The crate with the manifold tipped the scales at 120#.

I offered the crate use to the local Packard club, as it could be reused many times for shipping parts. I had received a crate for my use from a guy who did a 37 V12 manifold with Prairie. The crate unfortunately was too short. Also it was not built as well as mine.

You mean the two addition horseshoes that form the intake manifold. Those where shipped in a separate box. Being lighter, those were packed but in a cardboard box with building insulation to protect them. I should get those Monday. For whatever reason, they ship them a day apart.

The piece above is exhaust and partly intake manifold.