'50 Left rear keeps locking up - any ideas?

Gary_N

I've taken both rear drums off, cleaned up the place, installed new wheel cylinders, springs, retainers and the like. Shoes were OK. I also lubed the flat spots where the shoes rub on the backing plates. There were no leaks when I took it apart. Re assembled and bled the system. Still have the left rear locking up. Feels like it sticks. The brakes were great for the longest time and now this issue. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Gary

Guest imported_JPIndusi

I think there is one flexible brake hose from the frame to the rear axle and then there are steel tubes to each rear wheel brake cylinder on your car. I would change the flexible line if it hasn't been changed before. There is the possibility that the interior of the flexible line is deteriorated and is not allowing the brake fluid to return to the master cylinder when the brake pedal is not depressed.

Other possiblity is to examine the left rear wheel cylinder for a defect.

Good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

Gary-

Make sure you put the front shoe on the front of that rear wheel and the rear shoe on the back half of the wheel.

The front shoe on each wheel has the shorter overall lining length, compared to the rear shoe.

They will easily go on the wrong way around. If you do not pay attention, you may not notice the difference in brake lining length.

The leading edge shoe (the front shoe) tends to self-energize quite a bit and apply itself even harder than the wheel cylinder pressure alone. That's why it has the shorter lining length. Opposite on the rear shoe; it needs longer brake lining length to compensate for rotation removing some application pressure.

Good luck with it.

Jim

(I used to design brake systems)

Thanks for the advice. I think at this point I'm going to start replacing everything. After almost 60 years, it seems like a good idea.

The old wheel cylinders had a big pock mark inside, like it was rusting. Since brake fluid holds moisture, I guess that's possible. I used to marvel at how good the brakes felt. Then one day they just went away.

By the way, I cannot seem to use a normal brake spring tool to get the shoe springs onto the stud. Seems like there must be a different shaped spring tool for that. Am I crazy??

Gary