U-Joints for 1949 Roadmaster - Source?

Dan O

Howdy - I need front, maybe rear u-joint for my 1949 Buick Roadmaster, 76c, with Dynaflow.

Anyone have a source? Perhaps they are still sold at the local Hi-Lo for another application? The books don't go back to '49 round here.

Thanks!

Dan O

Dan

Wheatbelt should have some servicable used ones.

Now for clarification for me and you: There is no rear universal joint, only a front and that is actually in the rear of the transmission. Why do you think you need a universal joint? The reason you are having trouble finding one is that they are low failure items.

Willie

Willie - I hope you are right. I am using a mechanic and we just thought a U-Joint would be cheap and easy to replace while you are at it. It may be just fine. I have a nasty leak and ordered a torque ball repair kit from Cars. It is the rear seal piece with a new rubber lip, shims and a small metal seal. Did not seem like enuff to do it but the Cars rep said that should do it.

Willie - I forgot about your post from before. That is not good. I spoke with Bob and he said he did not have any seals and acted kinda funny about it. Like he did not know about rubber seals and said one did not exist?! I questioned him but he was adamant. So, rather than arguing I went to CARS. I will check out Steele now. My tranny runs fine - it just leaks BAD. A quart or more going around the block.

CARS indicated all I needed was the $86 seal kit which is just the metal housing with a rubber edge around the hole, some shims and a ring bearing the size of a half dollar or smaller. They sell a more elaborate torque ball repair kit for a little less. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am missing something.

Bob's part number for the outter torque ball retainer is TBR-483. (1948-60 dynaflow)exchange. Steele's number is 50-0190-29 (revulcanize only).

Call Bob's again and 'educate' them. If yours has the original retainer (no rubber) it is not suitable for revulcanizing or exchange...I have one you can have if needed. You will also needd other parts to seal the shaft and gaskets (shims).

Willie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, sledheader - that U-joint ad on eBay was for a different app - the title was not accurate. I have learned the u-joint for the 1949 76 series is a large assembly rather than the typical "x" shaped joint and they run $160 plus when available. Kanter sells for $215. The assy has the drive shaft inserts and the whole knuckle joint (?) in the middle. Fortunately, mine tests OK.

Got my retainer seal from Fatsco. Bob's will sell re-vulcanized TBR's for about $85 with exchange or $100 for a core. He has in stock. The Fatsco model went for $86 total.

Now on to the parking awl...