25 Buick Question

Rons25A

I believe you are correct (Leif? You really need to sign your posts).

Even as late as 1929 and even into the early 30s, the interior hardware was nickel while the exterior parts were chromed plated. I just don't recall when Buick started chrome plating everything inside & out.

Guest imported_Thriller

First use of chrome was in 1929. One of these days I'm going to have to find out what all was chrome plated, but that's my problem.

Triller maybe you need some help. I can read this in my Book American Cars 1805-1942 about 1932 Buick.

Setting the Series 50 from other Buicks was their lack of chrome beaded radiator shutters and chrome plated hood handles.Their headlights shells were painted rather than chromed. But I have also read that Chrome were used on Buick Wheels 1929 too,but cant find what it was at the moment.

Leif in Sweden.

Lief,

I do not have that book you mentioned but will look into it, because al '32s I have seen (and the one I have), including the 50 series has chromed headlight buckets and radiator shutter beads, not hood handles. '31s did not have chrome on the shutters but I believe did have the headlight buckets plated, but I will double check. Or others may indicate.

Likely, only the pheatons had chromed wire wheels in 1929.

John

My 1931 50 (smallest) series has chrome headlight buckets. This leads me to believe that all 1931 models had chrome headlight buckets. My son's 116 (smallest) series 1929 has painted buckets, but I have seen the larger 121 & 129 series headlight buckets are all chrome plated.

I can't put my hands on the documentation, but I recall the exterior plating on all the 1929 cars was chrome, while the door handles, window winders, & other interior hardware was still nickel plated.

Refering from my book again in Buick 1928. Standard Catalog of AMERICAN CARS 1805-1942, 1536 pages.

Also added to the Buick`s standard equipment list for 1928 were Wolverine bumpers.All Standard Six models had dash monted gas gauges and painted headlights shells.The exceptiond to the latter were Models 24 and 25 which had chromed shells.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143137950246_thumb.jpg