Coolant recovery tank?

page2171

I'm wanting to add a coolant recovery tank to my 62 Electra so I don't have to keep filling the radiator every time I drive the car. Is it as simple as going to the junk yard, finding a tank I like and hooking it up to the radiator? Do I have to replace the radiator cap? I would like to do this tomorrow since I have the day off of work, so any help is appreciated.

Brian

you can do as proposed, but constant need for refilling the radiator indicates something else needs attention.

For one thing, are you overfilling the radiator each time, or keeping it at the fill mark only? Constant loss could be a leak at several choice locations. Maybe a rotted soft plug? or water pump bearing, or radiator core? Engine overheating?

It would seem that a coolant recovery tank is not the real fix to your situation. How about giving us some more detail on the situation and lets see if we can help you determine what, if anything, needs attention?

JD

On the vehicles that did not have coolant recovery tanks, their coolant operating level was below the filler neck on the radiator, whether cold or at operating temperature. Depending upon the tank/filler neck relationship, it could normally be about 1" below the filler neck when cold. Key thing is consistency in the level. If you fill it to the bottom of the filler neck when cold, it'll push out what it doesn't need (so to speak) as the engine warms, the thermostat opens, and the coolant expands with the added heat it's carrying. When you do that, you let it seek it's desired level and that should be where it normally stays . . . unless there's a leak or major seep somewhere (as JohnD mentioned). Of course, the ONLY time you should be checking the level is on a COLD engine!

I concur that adding a coolant recovery jug might not be the fix you're looking for. Remember, too, that whatever receptable you find must be correctly plumbed to work as it needs to. Plus a later model radiator cap designed for that sort of system, typically. Personally, I know those factory recovery systems should maintain a reasonably constant level, but some don't (including one of my cars!) . . . even with no coolant leaks or seeps. So, possibly, the only thing you'd be gaining in your desired upgrade would be where you put in the coolant to replace that which has been lost (in the reservoir rather than in the radiator tank itself).

Of course, if you're going drag racing, you'll need some sort of "catch can" anyway . . .

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Maybe I have been filling it too full. The problem is, I don't know how far to fill it. I usually fill it where I can see the coolant at the top of the core. I haven't seen any leaks, but maybe I am missing something. I just figured it was coming from the overflow tube because a couple of times I have seen a small puddle on the ground in that area.

I was wanting to do this to make the car a little less maintenance intensive, which I suppose is an unrealistic with a 45 year old car. Maybe I should check things over better before I go ahead and do this.

By the way...how far should I be filling the radiator with coolant?

Thanks for the comments.

Brian

I had the same problem with my 61 Electra. After driving it for a while I would notice leakage from the overflow tube coming out from the radiator cap. The problem is the radiator cap spring was worn and would not hold the pressure it was intended to hold. I replaced the cap (16 pounds pressure) and the leak stopped.

You might try filling the upper tank about 1/2 full and see how that goes.

I'm sure the radiator core's tubes look clean and open on the top, but how recently has it been cleaned out or re-cored? I mention that (although I know it's a downflow radiator), but things can look clean on the top and be slightly plugged on the bottom (where you can't see it). This can lead to some degree of higher operating temperatures that, when the car sits after being run, the "heat soak" will make things hot enough to push some of the coolant out (where the correct pressure AND good radiator cap might come into play). Of course, if you fill it too full, it'll happen quicker.

The "1/2 full upper tank" is not a hard and fast rule, but a general rule of thumb. It might vary a little either way. The key thing is that it gets some consistency to it and maintains that particular level (when COLD).

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Also look closely at the front of the upper tank on the radiator. I'm sure you'll find there is a line molded right into the tank with the word "fill" or "level" above it. You bring the fluid to that line only.

JD

Well, I did a crazy thing today...I looked at the owners manual (you know, that book of last resort) and it said to fill half way up from the core (good advice NTX5467 grin.gif). That is also where the coolant was when I put the new radiator cap on this afternoon.

Now, about when the radiator was recored. I don't know if it has ever been replaced or recored. I have owned it for about 12 years now and I haven't done anything with the radiator. The radiator also looks like I imagine an original radiator looking.

Thanks guys for the help with this, I really appreciate it.

Brian