How to Clean a 1925 Dodge Fuel Tank?

jps

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to clean out residue and surface rust from the inside of a fuel tank? About 20 years ago my dad had a new tank made; we ran the car once and apparantly didn't drain the remaining fuel. It has been sitting idle until recently. We started the engine and ran it from a temporary tank, but now I need to clean out the real tank. I opened the bottom drain and got about 1/2 pint of amber-colored liquid, plus a little sludge. Then I removed the tank and have put in about 1/2 gallon of new gas, agitating the tank for about 15 minutes, then letting it sit for a coupe hours. Then I turn the tank, agitate again, and let it sit in a new position. The inside of the tank now has a red-brown color which I assume to be a layer of surface rust. Is there something I could use to clean this out better, or is just using new gas the best way? At this rate I don't think the rust will really ever come out. Thanks.

This is a secret so don't tell anyone else, especially Ferd or Oldsmobile guys. Find a cattle feed store that makes their own feed and buy enough molassas to make a 3:1 ratio and fill the tank. That's 3 parts water to 1 part mollassas. MAke sure you fill it. Let it sit for about a week, empty rinse with lots of water. Then wash with maybe a gallon of insertyourfavoritecleaner { my fav is Spray 9} and lots of water. It will kill and remove ALL the rust. It will be clean enough and gets rid of fumes enough that I have soldered tanks after this treatment. It stinks BAD, so don't get it on your hands, and do it outside the garage.I pay about .10 a pound for it.

Fill it with Lysol toilet bowl cleaner, let it sit maybe a week at most rinse it out with gasoline dry it out with cpmpressed air if you have it and then coat the inside with gas tank sealer which is still available thru J.C. Whitney in quart cans which is more than enough to do several tanks. You and anyone else in the future will prob. never have to mess with it again

• 7 months later...

So, nearchoclatetown, is this molasses liquid or what? You said it was .10 a pound. Pellets? Not a farmer so this is new to me. smile.gif A 20 gallon tank then needs 5 gallons of molasses and 15 gallons of water. My friends tank has been sitting for a long time and has varnish and gunk, etc. Oh and it is a Merc, sorry not quite Ford!

Thanks

So, nearchoclatetown, is this molasses liquid or what? You said it was .10 a pound. Pellets? Not a farmer so this is new to me. smile.gif A 20 gallon tank then needs 5 gallons of molasses and 15 gallons of water. My friends tank has been sitting for a long time and has varnish and gunk, etc. Oh and it is a Merc, sorry not quite Ford!

Thanks

Yes Dave, the mollassas is liquid, pretty thick. Find a feed store that makes their own cattle feed, use a container with a lid like a paint thinner can. You don't want this stuff spilling in your car or on your hands, it stinks bigtime.It won't remove paint or grease, but KILLS rust. It's supposed to be the same stuff Rust Beeter is made from. Grocery store Mollassas is from corn, cattle grade is from red beets. The corn stuff doesn't work. I'd let it work for a week, make sure it is COMPLETELY full or completely submerged if you are putting it in a tank. The fumes will super-rust any parts that are exposed to the gases given off. Rinse the derusted part with lots of water, I usually wash with Spray Nine and a brush.

Yes Dave, the mollassas is liquid, pretty thick. Find a feed store that makes their own cattle feed, use a container with a lid like a paint thinner can. You don't want this stuff spilling in your car or on your hands, it stinks bigtime.It won't remove paint or grease, but KILLS rust. It's supposed to be the same stuff Rust Beeter is made from. Grocery store Mollassas is from corn, cattle grade is from red beets. The corn stuff doesn't work. I'd let it work for a week, make sure it is COMPLETELY full or completely submerged if you are putting it in a tank. The fumes will super-rust any parts that are exposed to the gases given off. Rinse the derusted part with lots of water, I usually wash with Spray Nine and a brush.