How many projects do you have going ??

Gary_N

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: century1940</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THANK YOU STUART - HOPE YOU CAN HELP, BUT SHIPPING FROM AUST. IS A LONG WAY.

THANKS, 190 40 BUICK </div></div>

Hi again,

No need to get one from Australia. Go to the thread NEED A SPARK PLUG COVER - 320 MOTOR, BCA Buy/Sell forum and you will see 5 or 6 forum members are offering a suitable spark plug cover at what I would have thought were very reasonable prices.

Good luck, I'm sure one of these will help you out.

This post is really getting interesting. It's quite obvious that our hobby is a sickness. I still keep looking at cars to buy with a garage full of others that need a lot of attention. I do wish I had a convertible though, so, now I'm looking for one. I guess we never learn. But, can you really multi task restorations on your own? Maybe, if you focus on one at a time. Is that possible? Sure it is...just not for me!

Gary

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary_N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This post is really getting interesting. It's quite obvious that our hobby is a sickness. </div></div>

I wouldn't use the word "sickness" as that has negative connotations. I could go along with it being called an addiction, but a positive one, like collecting fine art, since that is what these truly are. Automobiles of today are strictly utilitarian. Even the early cars which were horseless carriages had style that set them apart, while they were more utilitarian than say the chrome days of the late '50s. We are restoring rolling works of art and saving history.

Convertibles abound Gary and it is really nice to have at least one in the collection. All you have to do is decide upon a budget, pick an era, and go looking. Good luck.

Derek:

I stand corrected. How about obsession? OK, addiction is good too.

I do need a convertible. I'm jealous of my Brother's collection. He has a #1 '53 Roadmaster Convertible and a very nice '63 Wildcat Convertible. Makes me crazy every time I visit him in California. Great, great convertible weather. Here in Maryland on the other hand....well there are a few good days.

Gary

Guest Dans 77 Limited

1940 ... not to worry, everyone has a bad day now & then. Good example , I was all proud of myself for the y pipe on my truck. My Dad and my brother in law took it last Wednesday to do some emergency repairs to my Dads cabin. My brother and I come up on Thursday and the first thing my Dad says is "I thought you fixed that Y pipe" I told him I did , he says well we need some stuff from the hardware store , why dont you take your "fixed truck " and pick it up. I started my truck and it was just as loud as before , the only difference is at least the pipe isnt dragging on the ground now. Just got back , fix it......again....... tomorrow.

Dan

Drivers are the '59 Invicta (needs interior work), '65 Wildcat (could use paint and minor rust repair).

Just sold the '66 Galaxie that needed nothing, was near perfect. Sold the '40 special due to lack of funding and space to work on it.

'65 spit is a constant project.....currently needs rear axle replaced, then whatever comes next!

'90 Reatta only has 1st and 2nd gear and the anti-lock and power brakes don't work, but it drives great in 2nd gear!

Always looking for more, even though I don't have any room to store them!

Guest DELTAWINGFLYER

59 Electra coupe done ,59 Invicta 4dr HT ,in progress,should be done this spring ,59 Invicta Estate wagon ,now road worth ,just need to make it look good $$$

and other projects slash parts cars

are we having fun yet?

I don't know where to start. So, here goes. All Buicks. '30 Roadster, running, but, needs a few things before I can drive it. '39 Century 4 door, dual side mounts, factory Sunshine Turret top, needs the radiator put back in and its ready to go, '56 Century SW, going to put on a '91 RM frame and floor, add a '95 LT-1, then make a RM wagon out of it, I have all the parts, '48 RM Roadster needs a ton of work, you saw the story a couple of months ago in the Bugle, '42 Special Convertible that needs to have the rear gears changed to get rid of the 4.40 gears, I have the parts, '63 Wildcat convertible, factory air, needs a little bit of upholstery work, new top, and paint touched up. I think I'll be busy at least till the end of the year. Ooops, I almost forgot, I just acquired a '28-54 Roadster, don't have it home yet, so, what it really needs is still a mystery. Paul, Ex-Pres, with more time on my hands, hopefully.

Well, The Garage is empty again. The 38 is finished an gone down the road and I am suffering from post pardom depression! Although my pocket is full.

I desparately need a driver and a project. For a driver, I am looking for a nice '57 2-door hardtop (Buick of course) in any flavor. For project, I have not made up my mind which make and decade but it MUST be a convertible.

Any leads would be appreciated.

If anyone is in the St.Louis area and willing to look at a car I would love to have your opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

If I could ever figure out the difference between a project and a dream, perhaps I could answer the posted question. I think I have about 14 '54, 2 '55 and 1 '56 Buicks on the farm right now. I buy some and sell some so am not real sure how many are down there. About 7-8 of them are parts cars, 2 are drivers, 2 more would be easy to restore and 3 pretty rough but definitly restorable. I've really enjoyed finding and draggin all these cars home. I've brought them from places like ND 1, KS 3, OK 2, TX 1, AL 4, FL 2, IN 1, MA 2 NC 2 VA 2 and GA 4. Personally, I enjoy the road trips, meeting and wheelin and dealin with folks just as much as I do working on them and driving them. I love nothing more than getting one home and going through it and wondering just what a life it has lead. I would say about half of them are someones "projects or dreams" that got put to the side for one reason or another. I have heard some sad stories.

I was suppose to be retiring this next year and had plans for all of them. I was going to determine my parts needs for the 5 that I was going to restore then set about dismantleing and storing those parts and sell the rest. Life events and a screwed up company retirement plan has set that retirement back about 5 years. Realizing my body aches and pains will likely be increased to the 10th power by then I know I need to reduce my herd by probably about 50 percent. But how does one decide what to keep and what to let go of after having dreamed so of someday having the following 54's:

A one owner low mileage 2 door hard top Roadmaster, a one owner low mileage 4 door RM, a fully optioned (incl AC) 4 door RM, an original 2 door 3 speed Century with period correct dual quad built 322, a one owner black plate California 2 door Century and a 4 door little 3 speed Special. Those are my dreams, but hey they are all right down there in and behind the barn...so does that make them projects. I know I will never live long enough to see them all finished...so does that make them dreams again. I guess it really doesn't matter...dreams or projects...as long as I love doing whatever I'm doing, I'm happy as brer rabbit in a briar patch!!!!!

post-32987-143137948918_thumb.jpg

Mr. Earl, I am sure happy to see that the '54 fully optioned, including A/C car made it into your 'dream' list. I hadn't heard anything about it, and was wondering what your latest thoughts were on it. I went looking for parts for my latest buy, the '28 Roadster, and ended up with an almost complete, absolutely no rust on the body, but surface rust on the fenders and hood, '28-54C Master Country Club Coupe. Now, which do I plan, or dream, to complete, probably neither. I too have too many projects or dreams to ever complete. Paul

Guest imported_MrEarl

Paul, the 54 4 door a/c car you delivered last week is most definitley a dream project for now but hopefully will come to be a reality in 6-8 years. Did you not get the Ecard I sent thanking you. Rita asked "Just what about that car makes it worth what you paid?" I repled, "Hon only half of the price was for the car, the rest was for the side show that delivered it". grin.gif

Let us see some pictures of the 28(s).

Nope, did not receive the "E-card", I thought maybe you were p****d at me, only kidding. I will take some pictures of the '28's, and send them to you. I need to get the Country Club Coupe unloaded first, it was about as much fun loading as it was unloading the '54 at your place. Paul

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42buickcrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to get the Country Club Coupe unloaded first, it was about as much fun loading as it was unloading the '54 at your place. Paul </div></div>

Based on past experience, having a tractor at hand really makes loading easier grin.gif I've also done more than I want with a come-along...that's slow, but not bad for doing by myself.

Guest imported_MrEarl

A come along is no fun with TWO good thumbs but just try it with a fractured thumb in a cast. I tried, but Paul took over after awhile, but not after saying "give me that comalong.....now I know why you smashed your thumb, to get outa unloading this thing". Bout the time the rear wheels get off the ramp he finally figures out the proper operating proceedure for the thing and gets coordinated enough to operated it. Another thing he learned that NIGHT was to let the trailer tongue jack up BEFORE pulling out from under the car after the rear car wheels are on the ground. If I'd needed a trench dug in my yard I would've plowed it in with my tractor. Hell we couldn't even get gravity to work for us that night. But it was working real good the other week when my thumb ended up between a jack stand and a rear axle.