Tape Jam

Lucky91

Polo, If you cant get it out, Try Downtown radio service. 1705 Orr Industrial Court, Suite B. Charlotte N.C. 28213-6464. Phone 704 494 4090, or 800 537 0116 Ext 243 Ask for doug. Mine is there now for the same problem. Hank

Whatever you decide to do to get 'yer tape out of the player...DO NOT TRY THE OLD BUTTERKNIFE TRICK!

The player will need to be removed from the dash, and partially disassembled- toremove the tape.

New belts will be in order, for continued cassette enjoyment, unless you REALLY like the tape that's in there currently.

Try pressing the eject button mutiple times, sometimes, after 3-4 cycles, it will eject the tape, or at least allow radio operation.

Currently, I have a cassette - CD/iPod adaptor tape stuck in mine. I just plug the wire into an iPod, or portable CD player, and enjoy.

My fingers are worn out from pressing that eject button. It just won't release it. At least I can still listen to the radio. After pushing the eject button in a series of three tries the radio will stay on. Does anyone have a procedure to take out the radio and the easiest way to dissasemble the player to remove the tape? If it's fairly straight forward I don't mind doing it. I hate taking it somewhere if it's relatively easy to get out. Hate paying those servicemen.

I had my tape deck fixed (Original Eqp) several months ago.Cost 129.00. 30 day guarantee only. Two weeks ago I finaly got my nerve up to put my first tape in it and guess what, The damm thing stuck. I pressed eject and every other button more than a hundred times one afternoon with no luck. The next day I went back and did it again and the tape ejected after about 10 pushes. So much for doing the same thing over and expecting different results. Go figure.

No more tapes will go in. CD's only

Good luck

Guest imported_Mark K

I did disassemble my cassette deck to remove a stuck tape. It took disassembling the entire radio and removing the deck from the radio, then, if I remember correctly, I had to move some lever in the back of the deck to eject the tape.

I then set about trying to figure out the problem. Some people have suggested that there are belts that are worn. I don't believe this to be the case. I don't recall there being any belts in the eject part of the tape deck. There are belts in the '88-89 deck that open the door, but not in the '90-91 eject mechanism. I played around with it for a while and eventually got it working but a few days later the tape did not eject again. I honestly have no clue how the mechanism works and don't know what I did to get it working. It is very complex and a rather poor design.

My solution was to purchase a radio on eBay with a working tape deck. It was a newer Riviera (1992+) radio without the EQ. So I transferred the cassette deck from that radio to mine. It fit right in the radio just like the original. As it turns out, the newer radio has a cassette deck with a different eject mechanism. Delco must have seen the problem and did a redesign. The only difference is the LED lights on the cassette deck are a different color and as it turns out, the sound is not good either but don't use the cassette deck much and I now know that a tape will not get stuck.

Mark