Rear end fluid leak

gdcont

Hey everyone my '48 Continental is leaking rear-end fluid into the torque tube it comes out the grease fitting. I know it's from the rear-end cause I have to fill it occasionally. Is there a pinion seal and how much trouble is it to replace once you remove the rear-end and torque tube from the vehicle? I've replaced many pinion seals on modern cars but can't find any info on replacing it on the Continental. Thanks George.

The grease fitting shouldn't leak even if rear end oil gets past the grease retainer behind the center drive shaft bearing. I would try replacing this fitting first before removing the rear end and torque tube. If the car is sitting "low" (weak rear spring) or parked on a down slant oil could get by this center bearing grease retainer and "lay" in the tube eventually leaking out this fitting. You may even try replacing this center fitting with a 1/16" pipe plug between normal grease job intervals.

Interesting. I'm getting the same thing. The car hasn't moved for 7 years and a pool of thick grease/oil keeps accumulating under that zerk fitting.

By the way, Rolf, thanks for putting my speedometer on the back cover of Way of the Zephyr. I checked the mileage and it matched.

I'll try replacing that grease fitting and see what happens. I fill the rear-end to the bottom of the fill hole on level ground. The car sits in the garage which is also level. I see the grease retainer part #4658 and retainer part #4245 listed in the Lincoln chassis parts catalog which to you think is one leaking fluid passed it. I also have some fluid leaking at the connection between the rear-end and the torque tube. Thanks George.

Guest imported_V12Bill

I have had this problem in the past.There is a seal at the pinion and the seal rides on a collar. Since the original seals were leather, the leather absorbed moisture and the moisture caused corrosion on the collar. The new seal (if you put one in) is riding in a rut on the collar caused by rust and wear and no longer seals. The zerk fitting on the torque tube is a pressed in fitting and is difficult to remove and probably impossible to find. It will leak fluids like 90 weight oil but not grease.

Alemite does make a "dust cap" for grease fittings. It snaps over the head and might slow down the leak. Maybe worth a try? Alemite does make press in fittings but I don't think they have ball checks so replacing that torque tube fitting is probably not an option as V12 Bill indicates.