About Buick 1938

buick1938

I don't think the numbers mean much of anything, except as the writer said, it's probably a 38 Century Sedan. The hood side panels were there, and toward the front, not shown in any of the pictures, it should say "CENTURY" if the above is correct (Model 61 is a four door sedan). The identification plate is a tin plate rivited to the firewall on the passenger side, and contains much more information then in this picture. The rear fender cutouts were cut away and destroyed when the fixup was started. I don't understand why they were built out from the body during the body work, nor the bottoms welded on the front the the front fenders; however I assume there is a certain amount of "personalization" intended, meaning the car is not being restored to original, but is being modified to the owners choice. The rally wheels in one of the later pictures, replacing what appear to be the rare original wheels further indicates there is no intention fo restore the car to original. The body work that has been done on this car is, regardless, absolutely terrific. Somebody really knows how to do metal work over there, I can tell you that. I can't imagine the difficulty in acquiring all the parts that are missing as shown in the first few pictures, if a person lives in a foreign country.