Headlight Adjustment

kilkm

I just replaced the drivers side headlight assembly on my '95 Lesabre and need to adjust the headlights. I see the adjustment screws but they aren't accessable with a screwdriver. Is there a special tool I need or what should I use? Never had a car I couldn't adjust the lights.

I just did this on a 63 Special.

The two adjustment screws are 120 degrees apart with a spring holding the third position. It is the spring that allows the two screws to move the headlight position.

Two smaller screws (right next to the adjustment screws) hold the retainer ring .

This is much different than a '63 special. I have a '62 Electra and know what your talking about but this is completely different. There must be a special tool they use to make the adjustment at the service centers, I'm going to go to the Buick garage and ask, no one seems to know that I've talked to.

You can buy the Torx "external" bit at Home Depot's tool department, but you'll need to determine the exact size you need. With that "socket" you can use a 1/4" drive extension and a similar ratchet.

There is sometimes a level with some marks and an arrow on that moves with the adjustment. Generally, they should be pretty even side to side.

Now . . . if you just replaced the bulb, there's NO need to readjust anything. In fact, if you replaced the complete assembly, still no need to adjust anything, just replace it as the adjuster is part of the assembly that is set at the factory that built it. If you got everything firmly and securely seated in the mounting bracket, everything should be fine.

There are two adjustments, just as in the prior times. One adjustment is for the lateral aim and the other is for the vertical aim.

In general, most of the newer beam patterns have a pretty sharp upper cut-off in their pattern. On low beam, it should be pretty parallel to level, or aimed just a tad down from being parallel to the roadway. If there's any doubt, you can pull the car up about 20' from a wall and set the level of the new one to match the old one . . . IF any adjustment is needed.

Enjoy!

NTX5467