Too long without a post...

Nice! I recognize a few, can you get some close-up pics for us? I have been collecting these for a few years and began with a nice embossed copper Daimler ash tray from England. I've got some advertising different gasoline brands from the UK and have several possibly French trays, a few of which I've attached photos of. First one is a pewter calling card tray showing a chain-drive Mercedes. Next is a cast iron ashtray with a gold wash on it - nice early car! The third pic is a combination pen tray and inkwell. The list of topics here is almost endless. I'll post a pic of some of my early fold-out valentines later.

Terry

post-30751-143137944103_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143137944106_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143137944109_thumb.jpg

No Maxwell ones that I know of, and you'll have to wait until I can take the close-ups. I do have this one close-up with me, but that is it at the time. The rarest one i have is for Pope automobiles and is to the left of the Carhartt in the case. I like the ones you have too, they are on the earlier side whereas mine are 20's to 30's vintage advertising pieces. Just more "fun stuff" in my "junque room".

post-32809-143137944124_thumb.jpg

Nice tray! Ive not seen many with the swirling style. Looks like the lettering is porcelain? What do you know about the car? As best I can determine, the Latin "ecce signum" is "see the sign" or something like that. I just missed a Pope ashtray on Ebay not long ago. Was watching but let it get away without bidding. Think I was off playing with the cars at the time. Im sure eventually we'll be talking about tire ash trays too and I noticed in your case you have one of the original Pennsylvania Cup tire ash trays. There are so many colored reproductions around on this one and unfortunately they turn up for sale on ebay and in antique shops with some silly prices on them.

Terry

According to John Webster many years ago, this is a radiator emblem made into an advertising ashtray for the auto maker. The swirl base is a separate piece crimped onto the emblem. He mentioned at the time that they were far more common than ones off of the radiator and are usually in mint condition. I have one other swirl edge ashtray which is for Hartford Tires and has a thick brass un-enameled piece in the bottom - front & left-central of the second picture above. Another interesting one is the Cadillac two to the right of the Carhartt in the top picture. It is a glass bottom crimped into a brass edgeing. The PA tires came from my living in that area several years ago, but with all of the repro items around I still wondered if it were a fantasy item to begin with. The final oddity is an "ERLA Special Six" ashtray, the only reference to ERLA I can find is as a manufacturer of radios not cars. I think the Hershey dealer I bought this from knew it too...