Need help with idler arm, 1955 Buick

Hello,

I hope someone can help me... I have just installed a new idler arm support with new bushing because I meant I have to change it because I had play there but it seems now, the old one has play and the new one has also play and is bad quality ? Or must there a bit play in this thread ?

But perhaps I made mistakes so I would like to ask you, what the correct way is to install the support and bushing.

As I wrote on the attached photo, I fixed / tightened the lower screw / bushing to the idler arm. Is this correct ?

Then I turned in the support into this screw / bushing until it has its correct adjustment but... it has play.. this can't be correct or ?

Did I bought trash or did I make mistakes ?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

post-30607-143137942948_thumb.jpg

I think the idler you installed is worn also. Hard to tell but the color of the grease coming out of the top tells me this unit is used, possibly bad too. Everything else looks correct.

The support and bushing with fitting is brand new. They used a kind of black grease and I filled up with a different type.

The idler arm ist still the same because I can't get these arms but the small play is in the new bushing / support thread. No play between bushing and idler arm.

Tom

Hi,

thanks for your answer but there is no play between arm and bushing. There is play between bushing and support ( frame bracket ) and both are new.

And : It is not possible to get the idler arm and the frame bracket with it bushing. Not at Cars inc. or Kanter, just frame bracket and bushing.

Tom

You should be able to buy a new bracket that mounts to the frame along with a new bushing. Try Bob's Automobilia on the web, also Ebay has them now and then. It sounds like that is what you need to do.

Remember, these things like lots of regular lubing. I think the recommendation from the factory was every one thousand miles.

These things wear out fast on my '54 for some reason, even with regular lubing.

Happy wrenching,

Tom

There has to be some play or looseness in even a new part. Sounds like your new part has normal looseness and maybe your old part was OK too. A very worn part will have much more looseness and there will be a definite wear pattern on the threads of the idler arm bracket. Pages 251 and 252 of the service manual details the adjustment.

Willie

Hi Willie,

the old part has much more looseness as the new one. A friend here who works at the "car safety inspection" told me also that it is normal, that these kind of threads has a bit looseness.

I made the adjustment exactly after the shop manual.

Thanks for your answer, now I am happy and ready to tour again. smile.gif

Tom

• 2 years later...
Guest sledhead

on e-bay they have been selling what is called a take-up kit goes between arm and post spring loaded takes up the slack. I have one but plan to use it. Purchased new repair kit from kanter it is junk!!!!! Purchased new old stock on e-bay genuine GM carsinc has new old stock at times