1919 dodge rims

dbmarkc

Mark:

When you say straignted what do you mean. Are the rims out of round or are the side bent. I have had very good success with wheel that are out of round by cutting a round circle our of 3/4 inch plywood with the circunfrence the size of your wheel. I then mount the closed rim on the wood circle. This will allow you to see what sides are high and what is low. Take some bar clamps and blocks of wood that will fit inside the rim and slowly bring the high side in. if the rim is way out of round you may have to use the bar clamps first to get the approximate shape before you mount on the circle. If it is the cross section profile cut a piece of steel with the correct profile and force it the entire length of the rim to obtain the correct profile. before you go to all of ths trouble try installing the rim of various wheels. It may fit on one wheel better then another or it may be the wheel which is out of round. Have a good weekend

• 1 month later...

Mark, being a woodworker, I have had lots of thing dryout and shrink. and all parts are loose, if you can clean off all the finish and get down to rare wood, using a mixture of scraping tools, spoke planes, straight edge razer, cabinet scraper,anything that will take off finish, scarp or sand until no finish is left, soak the whole thing in raw linseed oil, or orange oil and it well swell the wood, soak until wood will not accept anymore oil. Kind of like hand lotion for dry wood, let set for about 12 hours and soak again. Repeat process until totally saturated, Let dry for a couple of 3 days. then coat with you favorite color (black with white pinstripes}or coat clear with Man of war or a good UV protected oil finish. paint should be a good oil base also. the expansion of wool should tighten loose spokes.

If you have nicks or little pieces missing, pound small stainless nails into missing area (should pre drill to avoid spitting wood) set nails with head outs 3 or 4 penny nails slightly lower than repair, and use body bondo. Kitty hair is best, Nail heads will hold as anchors, After smoothing bondo, rake over patch with wood rasp of horseshoe fill to simulate grain. I have done these type repairs for 25yrs. with only a few inexpensive redos. I'm no expert but this work. I am interested in other options, This dog can learn new tricks.