73 Riviera - have an opportunity to buy... have questions.

Peter Gariepy

I have fallen upon what appears to be a very respectable 73 Buick Riviera.

Its has the factory paint and interior. Owner claims that it is all original, runs and drives good, and is fully loaded.

The asking price is $4250

I could use some advice as to the going rate for such a car.

What issues to look for, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter

post-31494-143137942574_thumb.jpg

Peter,

That is a very reasonable price. You did not indicate the mileage. On the boattails especially the 73's, the deck lid rusts out from having the drain holes being plugged with debris. Also look for rust in the bottom of the quarters. Is the A/C working.

I am the 71-73 Technical Advisor for the ROA. Please email me direct if you have any questions. I will be more than happy to help you.

My direct email is: rbonto@neo.rr.com

Bob Bonto # 277

President, ROA

71-73 Technical Advisor

Bob, rbonto@neo.rr.com

THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!

I'll see the car in person over the weekend.

Less than 100k miles.

No rust whatsoever.

Vinyl Top turned to dust from sun damage.

Air conditioner intact but not functional.

The price seems fair. I'm hoping its as clean and unmolested as the owner has presented it.

Classic car worth can be evaluated many ways. If you really like the car its its what you've been looking for then paying more than market value is worth it. If you are concerned about getting a good value then one way is to look at every area of the car and make a list of what your desires are to repair or restore. Then estimate costs for all those items and add 15% (at least). If it still looks lika good buy when combining the paying price and cost of repairs then go for it.

Original paint and interior can mean different things. If the paint is bad and most of the interior needs replaced, you are looking at $4000 ballpark for repaint and interior. More or less depending on the existing condition and what you can do yourself. How is the chrome? Any replating needed will be expensive. How is the weatherstripping? Has the car been driven much? If its been stored for years without any maintenance upkeep you should plan on spending several hundred $$$ to get it reliable in areas such as brake service, tuneup, hoses, fuel pump, water pump, transmission filter/fluid etc.

Beware on the original paint claim - I have looked at more cars that were claimed to be original paint and weren't vs ones that were. Owners often don't know the cars history nor do they know how to tell if a car has been painted.

With that said, paying $4250 could be a reasonable deal. Depending on condition though you could easily sink another $4000 into it to get it looking and driving nice. I looked at a truely pristine 73 GS with 100% original paint and bucket seat interior, chrome, mechanics serviced, etc. This was one of the nicest truely original Rivieras I've seen for sale. Asking price was $8000 and he couldn't sell it for a year. My point is be careful because you may be better off to pay more up front and get a car than needs little to nothing and save yourself all the frustration and disappointments that restorations can have and be no further ahead financialy in the end. One last note, the 73s just don't demand as much $$$ as the 71/72s.

Once you look at it post back with your findings.

Guest dcdpgh

Peter,

Federally mandated bumper laws forced design changes, which in many people's eyes make the '73 boattails less clean and sleak looking than the design of the '71 and '72 nose and tail treatments. Compare photos of the three ('71, '72' and '73), especially the front facia and bumper and you'll see the difference.

Value/desirability is purely subjective, but I've always suspected that about the '73s.

Peter,

Dan is correct in that the federally mandated 5 mph bumpers meant a change in the 73's, and from a purity of style vis a vis the 71-72's, they are deemed less of a boattail.

I however prefer the 73 over the other two years. The 71/72 were love them or hate them. The boattail extended into the rear bumper on these cars and they sported show car circuit nerf or mini bumpers up front with bold grilles.

The 73's in contrast had a Buick corporate front end, similar to the Centurion and Electra and the boat "tail" ended before the bumper. There is no keel in the rear bumper.

For that reason I prefer the 73's. as I am not as big a fan of the keel integrated int he bumper. The 73's allow me to buy a boattail Riviera in the particular style i like, while others can pick the 71-72's.

On price, $4200 better buy me a darn nice driver boattail. It better not need any interior replacement, showing usual wear only. If it needs interior work, some mechanical attention and a vinyl roof, then $4200 is too high.

The car you are looking at appears to be local-you are not necessarily out looking for a 73 Riviera. If you were, then your search would be broader.

I've seen 75,000 mile boattails for $2500. I've seen 75,000 mile boattails for $7500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3Jakes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peter,

I however prefer the 73 over the other two years. The 71/72 were love them or hate them. The boattail extended into the rear bumper on these cars and they sported show car circuit nerf or mini bumpers up front with bold grilles.

</div></div>

That is exactly why I bought my '73 Riv (besides that: there are quite a few parts interchangable with the '75 Riv)

sophia16915b0beeio3.jpg