rebuild 350 rocket?

Guest tom50buick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tom50buick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the difference on rebuilding olds 350 and chevy 350? My olds 1972 350 rocket is all ready to put together. Is there a book on rebuilding olds engines? thanks again

tstrick1972@aol.com </div></div>

In terms of the process, rebuilding any cast iron American pushrod V8 is the same. There are some differences between the Olds and the Chevy. You really should get a factory service manual to do this right.

Guest imported_Julian

Joe is right.. use a factory service manual for all of the torque specs etc. I would not use an aftermarket manual like a Haynes manual or anything..sometimes things get left out. best to use the factory manual smile.gif

Just to clarify, the Olds (-built!) 350 is not the same as a Chevrolet 350, they are completely different engines, if that's what you're asking.

Now, just to confuse things... some Oldsmobiles used Chevrolet engines, and verse-visa!

The Olds V8 engine has an oil filler tube just to the left of center in the front, that's the quickest way to tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought an '86 Caprice wagon last year. Mechanic was surprised to find the filter on the "wrong side"! confused.gif

Yep, it's an Olds!

Wayne </div></div>

Small world - heck, small state of VA... I have an 86 Caprice with 307 also. I'm collecting Custom Cruiser front sheetmetal so it will also look like an Olds. As you may know, the B-body wagons are all identical from the firewall back. All use the Chevy doors, so the Custom Cruisers have unique fenders (different from the RWD 88 and 98 sedans) to mate the Olds header and grille to the Chevy side features.

Guest tom50buick

thanks for the talk, I have a book on rebuilding chevy engines, I was hopeing for a book on olds 350 rocket engine rebuilding. I have the 1972 olds chassis sevice manual.I was hoping for a book like the chevy. thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tom50buick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the talk, I have a book on rebuilding chevy engines, I was hopeing for a book on olds 350 rocket engine rebuilding. I have the 1972 olds chassis sevice manual.I was hoping for a book like the chevy. thanks again </div></div>

Unfortunately, Olds motors aren't popular enough to warrant a book. The basic rebuilding of any American V8 is the same. The tricks unique to Oldsmobiles are covered to some extent in Mondello's tech manual, though if you're doing a relatively stock rebuild, I can't say the content justifies the expense.