Console ILLumination

BP

I need some insight on the illumination of the console<P>1) The connectors for the switch illumination on the Shift Strip, the Window Switch and the Mirror Switch, how can I test them to see if there is juice there? Does the Service manual speak to this topic? Page numbers would be a great help (I glanced through it a couple times and found very little about the illumination of the console or the 110 Inverter.) When all is working, What lights up?<BR>2) If the 110 AC inverter is the power supply for the shift illumination strip, and nothing on the console lights up I suppose I should replace it first. Is there any way to test the inverter to see if it’s bad?? I have read some of the Previous Posts on this issue but none seem to summarize the topic. Pagett referenced testing his, anybody know which posts to connect to 12V DC and which to read 110 out?<BR>3) Also the question of Part Numbers and the differences between the dash and console inverters? Rong (in his POSTS)had done significant research with Endicott Research Group, Inc in NY but I never saw any final info in the old posts regarding interchanging inverters between console and dash or their availiblity & price.<BR>If anyone could shed some light on these topics I would appreciate it (no pun intended) <P>Thanks<BR>bp

Even though the part numbers are different, they both work the same and are interchangable electrically. The difference is that the dash mounted one has a plastic push retainer attached to the top.

Padgett -- I saw a post a while back where you said that you wished that your 88 had a yellow indicator light for the fog lights like the 89 does. Well the 88 does in fact have such a light. It is integral with the switch button the same as the dash mounted headlight switch button. Your's must not be working or possibly you have an earlier or later model 88 that didn't have that feature. The 89 has seperate (non-integral) lights from the button.

The '89 shop manual shows the wiring for the inverter on pages 8A-88-0&1 There are 4 wires. The blue and the white are the 110V output and the black ( ground) and the grey are the input. I agree with Harry, it could be the headlight switch module that is causing the inverter to not be powered but if the background lights on the headlight and wiper switch modules and on the CRT do light then its probably not the switch. I also discovered by looking at the manual as well as testing some of my components earlier the evening that all three of the pieces, the mirror switch, the window switch and the shift plate all have to be plugged in in order for any of them to work. When I was testing I found one of my shift plates did not light up but but the window and mirror switches did. (bad shift plate)<BR>I have sold several of these in the past and of the 3 components in the console the shift plate seems to be the weak link.<p>[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: Jim ]

Thanks - I got some great help from a local GM Foreman - I Tested my inverter it works fine 12VDC in gets me 110 VAC out (and a bit more) hooked up the console switchesto inverter back in the car and nothing! Then I substituted a test 12 volts instead of the installed 12 VDC to the inverter and subsequently the window and mirror switches illuminated via the inveter - when i connected the Shift Strip ALL went out! <P>So based on my results I have concluded that my 12VDC input to the inverter is "missing" and that the Shift Illumination Strip is also malfunctioning FUBAR!<P>Alittle more time, a little more love, a few more scraped hands and fingers and a little more help from my friends and we'll get this thing figured out!<P>Thanks - Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!<P>bp

Mine was erratic - turned out to be a bad connection in the inverter. Your could have a load-related problem. If you can get a spare inverter, I would try that (good thing to have anyway).<P>ps know what you mean, first time I pulled my dash inverter, it looked like my forearm had been in a cat fight. Wrapped it with a shop towel the next.

As usual am not at home but the integral light in the parking lights and cruise switch are easily visible even when off (small window in corner). None of my console lights have this (could certainly use for fog lights and lamp retract).<P>Jim: do any of your '88s have such console switches with indicators - would be interested in a set if so.<P>BTW, I agree that access to the dash inverter is easier from the top. Howver from the reports of cracking the plastic when removing, think I will wrap my arm and go in from the bottom. Arm heals. Have mounted the inverter lower now anyway.

I have read where it was easy to crack the grill in the dash; This might be if you are rough trying to get it out. I used a pick devise to remove mine and it came out fairly easy. I got an assortment of picks at the local flea market. The one I used looked like a screwdriver handle pick that was bent at 90 degrees. I started at one end and worked my way around very slowly. Hope this might help some one that has a hesitation on removing the grille. Thanks grm

Window & Mirror Lighting has been restored, although I remain baffled. <BR>If I Slip the plug on the shift illumination strip all goes black. And with the shift illumination strip disconnected again all remains black. <P>With a separate 12VDC source to the inverter the Window & Mirror Lighting works<P>and tonight I was fiddling around and by accident discovered that with the the plug on the shift illumination strip partially installed the the Window & Mirror Switche Lights work. <P>So apparently the only part requiring replacement is the Shift Light Strip. <P>Where I fall off the wagon is why Does the 12VDC go away with the shift illumination strip plug fully seated or why does partially seating the plug restore the other 2 switch lights??<P>Thanks for all your support<BR>bp