water leak under carpet floor board

I would be suspecious of the rear window leaking.... this is often overlooked because the water is in the front. A leak at the rear window will run down the inside panels to the floor pan, then to the front.<P>You can test the location by running water on the windshield, side window, then rear window. Start with dry floors.<P>The leaks at the side window seldom leak on the floor unless the leak is at the top, and you should be able to see that water.<P>I would remove the cover over the third brake light then the rear plastic panel on the passanger side. When you run water over the back glass you should now be able to see the leak and possibly seal it from the inside.

This may not apply, but having worked at a car dealership for many years I've seen a lot problems including this one. On some products, I'm not sure on the Reatta, there are rubber plugs that cover holes in the floor. The holes were there to drain primer out while the car was being dipped during production. Sometimes these plugs would fall out, or were never put in place. During the rain, road splash would enter these open holes and soak the carpet. I have seen this happen on more than once occassion. Howard

• 1 month later...
Guest Dolores

Hi Beachboard,<P>I'm planning to have a water leak test conducted soon. The person doing the test installed my convertible top. When it rains my carpet gets soaked and it's not leaking from the windows or drain pipes in the trunk. He plans on taking the seats and carpet out of the car and run water to check for leaks.<P>I'll let you know what happens. It may be awhile it is my next priority. Right now trying to solve an electrical problem with my brakes lights.

Shame on you leaving your Reatta in the rain. This car was made for Arizona. How else can we explain why they usually leak and no one can buy any replacement weatherstripping.

This is a when all else fails repair and I pass it on from a member who told me when I had trouble. Take the carpet out and dust the floor with talc. You can put the seats back in and drive it around. Check for water tracks from the leak source after a rain storm or car wash. My car had three different points of water entry.<BR>Another problem can arise from water in the compartment. A thick bundle of wire runs in a channel across the floor and water can get in and create havoc with connections. I swore I had a gremlin in my cars electrical system until I found and fixed those connectors.