GM Protecto-Plate

rocketraider

A friend posed a question a couple days ago that I could not answer. Hopefully someone here knows.

What years did GM issue the credit-card sized Protecto-Plate warranty cards? I know most 60s cars had the Addressograph metal cards with label tapes attached in the back of the warranty booklet, and I know 69 Olds used the credit card. I'm not sure about other years. Anyone with dealer experience know?

I think that Chevrolet might go back to 1964, as the "decode" for the plate's codes and such are listed in the Chevrolet Car 1964-1974 parts book (in the front section), now termed "1974 and Prior". The codes were for engine, axle, carburetor(Holley or Rochester)(?), and few other things other than VIN per se. The dealer added the Dymo LabelMaker labels (probably a "specialty tool" back then?) to the plate when the vehicle was sold to the first owner of record.

It might have been that other divisions (than Chevrolet) used a fancier system (as a "credit card" item would have been back then). These "plates" were usually in the back of the owner's manual, "glued" to the paper.

Chrysler used a similar system in the same general timeframe--an silkscreened (with corporate logos and ID) aluminum card with the VIN stamped into it and the owner's name and such added with the label maker. It was carried in a plastic holder, under the hood in an inconspicuous place (unless you knew where to look for it!) on the core support, somewhat hidden by the battery. I suspect that Ford has some similar system, but I don't know what it might have been.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467