54-56 nailhead fan/PS belts

Guest kevinshea

Guest kevinshea

Are the generator belt and the PS belt on the 322 the same? -- can't find any info and the resellers don't know (dah)

Nope, Almost but not quite. Stretched between your thumbs one is about 1.5" longer. It usually takes a couple of trips to your local store(s) untill you find the right ones. If you use cogged or notched belts you stand a good chance of getting gigged 1 point each by the BCA judges. Smoothies are out there but sometimes you need to shop around.....Bob

Guest kevinshea

Bob -- thanks -- I thought that they would be different ( why is it that these repro parts dealers just don't seem to get it? -- and they sell the cut type too)

My experiance has been "If it's repro it's gonna be wrong or need rework". Cars inc. is especially bad in that regard. At the other end of the spectrum are parts for Oldsmobiles from Fusick. They seem to be especially careful at getting their repro parts correct with little or no rework needed. I get my belts at a local parts dealer. He's patient enough to go through his stock to find smoothies or give me belts to take home to try.......Bob

Guest kevinshea

Now I have more info .. checked the goodyear parts book and it says 1954 15535 for Gen; 155345 for PS 1955 15535 gen/15561 for PS same for 56... so, how can goodyear sell different sized for 55 and 56 than for 54 if the engines are the same.. I am starting to look for a 535 and a 560 with a flat profile.

In doing fan belts, ALWAYS pay attention to the width of the belts, in addition to the stated length.

There are (usually) two widths of fan belts . . . .375" and .440", which can happen WITH the same length spec and/or notched or smooth. Why is this significant? IF you have a .375" width belt of, say, 44" and you find a .440" belt that's the same length, the .440" belt will ride HIGHER in the pulley groove than the .375" belt will. Therefore, to have the same adjustment "area" in the adj slot on the brackets, you'll need a 45" belt in the .440" width.

In the 1970s, the Chevy belt listings would show (for replacement service) a .440" belt of a particular length. What was on the vehicle, from the assembly plant, would be a .375" belt of the same length. The charts were generally configured for length, and not width, but the numeric size listings had both.

So, when a tech brought in a belt to match, the natural inclination is to take that belt to the belt rack and match the length. But the belt to match was a .375" belt and the replacement belt was .440". This generated another trip for the tech to return the "wrong" belt for one that fit. Plus some elevated "oil pressure" on both sides of the deal!

Then, I noticed what was going on. I'd take the belt listings from the parts book, check the specs, and go to the belt rack to match length and width, adding 1" to the length if the orig belt was a .375" belt and all we had were .440" belts. That additional 1" for the wider belt usually worked like a charm--no returns of "wrong" belts--when it was compared to the thinner belt. This is something that I learned from experience.

So, I'd highly recommend that you check the specs for the Gates belts and use those length and width specs to go with. Then, you might need to factor in that extra inch, or subtract it, depending upon which belts you can find in what length and width.

From what I saw, in more recent times, GM usually didn't spec a notched belt except on specific applications. One in particular would be an '80s Eldorado with the 100amp alternator and a SMALLER pulley. It took the notched belt to make that tighter turn on the pulley . . . as the pulley diameter was smaller than normal and belt tension was important so that it wouldn't squeel. Sometimes, the aftermarket companies (i.e., Gates) would put particular belts in particular applications as they found them to work better than the factory spec belt. As a general rule, by observation, Gates didn't really pay the "width game" as all of their belts were not OEM production items, but "replacement" items. Plus, if a slightly longer belt might work better, that's what Gates would spec.

NOW, also be aware that Gates has (or had) several different levels of "quality" belts. We're used to seeing the "Green Stripe" and similar Gates belts, which we knew to be of good quality and durability. Back in the 1980s, Gates brought out a line called "Charter" which a lot of auto supplies picked up. It was a Gates belt that they could sell for a better price and make more money on them. But it was more of a "value line" than a normal Gates belt, so it might do the job for a while and then become "a belt" . . . from what a friend in the auto supply business told me back then. All of these different "lines" of Gates belts are explained in their paper catalog, as I recall.

In our deal here, having a decent belt might be more important than if it'll reliably last 100,000 miles of daily driving. I mention the Gates Charter deal so you might know what was going on, plus the belt width issues for the same reason.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467