New to Restoring Model A's

Guest Jash1057

Guest Jash1057

I bought a 1929 Briggs Leatherback as my first car ever to rebuild and so I am always looking additional information & help. Do you know of any great sites that I can refer to that gives as much helpful information as possible? I tried joining a local Model A Club, but didn’t find it very helpful as all they did was eat donuts every month. I just finished painting it myself and am now starting to put it back together. The paint job came out okay, but not as nice as I would have liked to as it was also my first time. I can see that my biggest challenge is going to be putting back the interior and recovering the top. Is their anyone who lives in North New Jersey who would like to take someone under their wing and help a new comer along with his restoration. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Johnson

jash1057@optonline.net

Feel free to post any questions you may have here.

I restore cars for a living, mostly pre-war Fords and have done 20-30 Model A's

I also joined my local "A" region but dropped out for the same reason you did, All they did was/is go around and eat at various places while driving their modern cars.

Join an AACA Region, you won't regret it!

Jim, GREAT body choice! What color?? I am no pro but like the boys above I would be glad to assist with any advice, etc. I have not fully restored my car (but I have done one full restoration, a '56 Chevy, a long time ago.) but opted to freshen the mechanicals, replace the top & wood and keep the 30 year old interior and paint.

The wood seemed simple enough, but the headliner and the top, with the padding & screen seemed complex enough to leave that whole job for a pro, which I did. I know of two people in central CT who would do a job like that if you are interested, both very qualified. Send me a PM and I will give you their contact info. if you want.

The only comment I would add here is not to give up on finding a local group who are active in restoration. This is worth the pain of doing. The local chapter I belong to is largely comprised of owners of finished cars and the emphasis is on touring. I have been able to seek out the "hands on" guys and have learned much, been able to get a hand with my car and obtain some reasonable parts. But assuming you already did this search within your club I would echo MC and suggest joining the local AACA chapter. Just so happens that our chapter is very "hands on" and many of these guys own "A"s - although we do eat our share of doughnuts the emphasis is more on restoration than restaurants - It just may be that way in your area.

Hope to hear of your progress!