"New" old style tires - still available?

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

I just installed new tires on my 73' Pontiac a few months ago, but soon will be putting new tires on my 69' Caprice when I get the engine back in good running order. I like the old original style tires that originally came on these cars (bias-ply). Do they make aftermarket radial tires that look like the original tires of this era (smaller whitewalls)? I know they are probably expensive. Any help on where I could obtain these (if available) will be appreciated.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. $99.00 each from what I can gather. Does not make much sense. Back in the 70s, radials were expensive and bias-ply's were cheap. At first, I was thinking that perhaps they were still radials, but with the "bias-ply" look. However, I think that according to the site, they are actually bias-ply tires.

By the middle 1960s, the general white wall width was what we now have on those same size radials. Only real difference in the radials and the prior bias ply tires would be the tread width (rubber on the ground) rather than the section width.

NOW . . . I ran across some Cooper Trendsetter SE radials at Mopar Nats last year, on a 1966 Chrysler Newport (which came with 8.55x14 tires from the factory, when a/c was ordered, that were correct in section width, tread width, and "look" for that period of time). You can check out the Cooper website for more information. They are listed in the "economy" radial listing. The Chevrolet you mention could have had 8.25x14 tires from the factory, later designated as "G78-14".

On another of my cars, which has a rear overhang in the sheetmetal, I went up one size larger on the radials to compensate for the sidewall "bulge" lowering the vehicle height. It kept the factory dual exhaust pipes from dragging every time I went into a driveway approach.

Generally, many of Coker's "replacement" radials have a BFG Radial T/A tread pattern on them (or highly similar). If they are built from Radial T/A tires as a base, they will be great (by my own observations and use). But if the original look and such are important, the Coopers would be a "dead ringer" (by observation). AND are available in the correct 14" size (which many other brand of radials are NOT).

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. My 69' Caprice has the optional 15 inch tires- which was standard with the disc brake option- which it has. I would not mind having some for my 73' Grand Ville as well- which I think had the H-78 or G-78. I cannot recall at the moment.

I will check out the Cooper tire site and see what I can find out.

Thanks again!

Guest imported_Thriller

You may do just as well to make a friend of your local tire dealer...go to them with the size you need and what you want and they should be able to look up a few tires that may fit the bill. On top of that, you'll be keeping some of your car fund in the local economy (not to knock Coker or anyone else for that matter).

At our local car club meeting this past Sunday, the manager of one of our local tire / mechanical shops, who is an advertiser supporting the club, spoke at our meeting and answered a number of questions. They may have just what you need. Worst case, if they don't, it's only cost you a bit of time.

Ron, from Daimondback Classic Radial Tires, yes there are still radial tires available in the same classic look that you are looking for. From a white pinstripe, double white pinstripe to wide whitewall tires, we offer a wide selection of modern radial tires that are meant to be driven. Your car with the disc brake option came with 8.55x15 tires. These are replaced with a J-78 15 which is matched in 'radial world' as I call it, with either a 225/75R15 or a 235/75R15. Our SE model may meet your needs, as it has a very narrow treadwidth which mimicks the stance of the old bias tires. It has a very narrow treadwidth and the a closer look of the old tires. They will run you $156 for the 225 and $156 for the 235, respectively.

I hope this helps.

Ron Geris

GM Diamondback Classics

www.dbtires.com

To correct to the prior post, Coker Tire does not use BFG Radial T/A tires as a base, or anything similar. Their Silvertown tires are made by Tornel, a tire manufacturer in Mexico and are no relation to BFG other than the plant has a license to reproduce tires, using the original molds that have the BFG name on it. The tread pattern is NOT similar to a radial T/A.

Possibly a representative from Coker can chime in to reinforce this as being true. The idea that BFG makes those tires is a misrepresentation.

Ron

Guest corkycoker

Ron,

Here we go again... I have asked you to cease and spoken to the owner of your company Bill Chapman about your obsession with speaking about our company, our products and myself personally.

You know our policy is to not speak about a competitor or his product. It is grounds for termination at our place.

You do not know what you are speaking about regarding our BFGoodrich Silvertown tires. The molds are original BFGoodrich molds and are as the previous post mentions...former BFG Radial TA molds. Some of the tires are in fact manufactured by a Michelin licensee for us under Michelin supervision and technical QA by Tornel in Mexico.

We are pleased to help folks by answering questions and helping to solve problems. We do not think it is appropriate to use the message boards as you do as a marketing tactic and to slam Corky Coker, and Coker Tire or our products. You have a history of doing this.

I ask you to stop.

Sincerely,

Corky Coker

Quote; "You do not know what you are speaking about regarding our BFGoodrich Silvertown tires. The molds are original BFGoodrich molds and are as the previous post mentions...former BFG Radial TA molds. Some of the tires are in fact manufactured by a Michelin licensee for us under Michelin supervision and technical QA by Tornel in Mexico."

Diamondback stated you use the original molds and the tires are made in Tornel Mexico. Seems pretty much what you stated except the statement from Diamondback "the tread pattern is NOT similar to a radial T/A". Is it or is it not? Not trying to start anything just would like to know as these are popular tires.

Corky,

Thank you for your input. As always, I look forward to hearing from you. I am sorry that you feel that anyone was attacking you or your company. I do not want anyone on this forum to compare either the tread pattern of your Silvertown to a modern Radial T/A as they are different, or confuse our process with Coker Tires? process. As for where the tires are made? thank you for confirming that I was indeed correct. I enjoy your input and facts about your product, as I am sure other forum members do.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Ron

PS We will miss Patrick M. as much as you will, he was an asset to your organization and am sorry he decided to leave your company. If you see him, tell him I said hello.

If you have the 15" wheels, there should be NO problem finding something that you like, in either the G78-15 equivalent or the H78-15 equivalent. Get into the spec area of the tire company websites and you'll find that the highly popular P225/75R-15 size is more toward the old "J78-15" or 8.85x15 size than the 8.45x15 size. There should be something in the driver's side door frame regarding "minimum" size for the vehicle. I think I'd recommend P215/75R-15 for the Chevy and P225/75R-15 for the Pontiac. The spec sections should bear out the section width size and how they'd relate to the earlier "inches" size used in 1969 and the later "letter" size designation.

As mentioned, having a local "ally" in the tire business can be an asset-- key word "can".

Thanks for your input, Mr. Coker! Congrats on your recent awards and recognitions, plus those neat cars in the Great Race! Thanks for your great support of the automobile hobby too!!

I realize there have been many generations of BFG Radial T/A tires. I believe the tread design used is of a prior generation (about one generation back?) rather than the current one. Still, a good base from my experiences.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Philippe,

Your original H -70's in a goodyear are not available any longer that I am aware of in a redline tire. If you wanted to go to a radial, which will provide a much better ride, although not authentic for maximum points at a show, are replaced with a 235/70R15. We do have those available in two models in a redline; DBIII and the Diamondback 500. These tires are the same tires that we built in a 17" redline for Jay Leno's Toronado. We are able to do most any stripe combination, in red, white, blue or gold in any configuration from thick to thin, single double and triple stripes up to 20" rim size and low profiles such as 35 and 40 series.

I hope that gets you started in the right direction. Visit our website for additional information and pictures (page 20 of our online catalog) or you can contact me directly at 888-922-1642.

Regards,

Ron

GM Diamondback Classics

www.dbtires.com

info@dbtires.com

Seems like Kelsey Tire Co. is the authorized Goodyear repro source. Not sure about the "Speedway" items in the size you mention, though. As I recall, they were most plentiful in the E through G sizes, not so say they were not also available in the large H70 size you reference at one point in time. I also seem to recall they were purely bias ply, as in pre-Polyglas GT, which most probably replaced them.

Performance tires changed pretty rapidly back then, until things stabilized somewhat in the bias-belted architectures.

For "red line" tires, you might check the Corvette venues for repro tires, which might then lead to a source for the larger size you desire. Might also look in the tire adds in Old Cars Weekly, which have a listing of their available tires and configurations--including whitewall "stripe" width and color.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 8 months later...
Guest Shaffer

Thanks for the replies. At that price, I may wait a while and wear out these radials.... laugh.gif