???Kissell???

bob horgan

I photographed a car called a Kissel at Meadowbrook this summer. I don't know beans about it. Would somebody please tell me where it was made, years produced, and general info. The car I shot was from Utah and a speedster. I wonder what a Gold Bug was? A curious mind needs to know. Thank you in advance.

Bob,

I thought a Kissel expert would reply to you but since no one has, maybe my limited information would be of some help.

The Kissel Motor Car Co. built cars in Hartford Wisconsin from 1906 to 1931. Kissel made a speedster up to about 1928 but the Gold Bug name may have only been used for certian years in the early 20's. I am just not sure about that. They also made sedans and I believe, unlike a lot of small manufacturers of that period, made all of their engines. In later years, Kissel made Ruxtons in an ill-fated deal with Archie Andrews that I think contributed to the demise of the firm.

There is a pretty good but short history of the Kissel and the Gold Bug in a recent book called the Art of the Automobile (2000, Dennis Adler).

Guest Chuck Conrad

There is a great article about Kissell in the latest issue of The Classic Car. I got mine yesterday. Depending on how the Post Office feels, members should be geting it shortly, if they haven't already.

I just recieved my copy of The Classic Car. The article by Mr. Ashmead about his wonderful Kissel was certainly enjoyed by me. It is his car that was displayed at MeadowBrook this summer that I and so many other people had the pleasure to view. Thank You sir for bringing your car to Michigan. It is magnificent.

• 3 months later...
Guest imported_SoKalKisselKnut

Richard, I see your message has been up for a while, and I'm ashamed to say I haven't logged on this terrific CCCA site in some time.

I'm the enthusiastic owner of a 1929 Kissel White Eagle 8-95 Coupe-Roadster that was recently accepted as a CCCA classic...{thanks again, Classification Committee!} It is a stationary but soft-topped landau-bar coupe similar to the Model A Sport Coupe configuration. There's one more out there I know of... {Hi Doug Kissel...how are you and how's your beautiful red car?}

I might be able to shed a little extra light on the Kissel subject.

The Speedster {often called the Goldbug, especially when painted yellow...though not all of them were}, was offered up until the end of the Kissel production in 1931. In 1928 one hundred special souped-up 8-75 models {the big 8} were called "White Eagles", and some of these were in speedster form.{Only one brougham sedan still exists}. In 1929 however, all Kissel model lines were called White Eagles and the Speedster configuration was continued as an offering on several different wheelbases and engine sizes. There are three surviving 1929 speedsters that I know of, one in a museum in the Midwest, one in France and the other in Jack Nethercutt's collection in So.Cal.

Kissel built all of their engines until the mid-1920's, {with the exception of a Weidley-built V-12 in the 'Teens}, when they made the decision to purchase blocks from Lycoming. They offered their own 6 along with two Lycoming-based 8's, and did a number of modifications to the 8's such as a cast aluminum oil pan {mine holds 11 quarts!} and lightweight aluminum rods.Eventually, Kissel gave up their own very fine-but-somewhat-aged 6 as well, opting for the less expensive Lycoming 6. All engines were thoroughly and exhaustively tested before final installation and delivery. The company boasted additional horsepower obtained by the improvements, compared to similar models from Auburn and Gardner, who also featured Lycoming engines in their offerings.

Kissel built automobiles in not only an astonishingly wide array of stylish body styles...open and closed coupes, broughams, berlines, limousines, 2 and 4-door sedans in closed and convertible form, 7-passenger tourings, speedsters and an especially lovely sport phaeton called the Tourster...but taxicabs, ambulances, hearses and trucks! It was said that one never needed to contract a custom body company for something special...the craftsmen at Kissel would build whatever one wanted. This earned the company the slogan "the Custom Built Kissel". Not all were truly "custom" of course, but the cars were so stylish and nicely finished {and many to special order} that it seemed justified.

Even in the best years, Kissel never exceeded 2000 units, which makes one think that the company was spreading itself thin with so many offerings...for example, in 1929,a year in which only 400 cars were made, they offered a 6 and two 8's on 4 different wheelbases, with all the body styles and professional-car models listed above!

Sorry to have rambled along so much, but hopefully you and maybe others might find this information interesting. If there are any other Kissel owners out there, I'd VERY much enjoy talking with you! I'd especially like to hear about any previously undiscovered White Eagles.

I heartily and humbly invite anyone to correct me if I got anything wrong here in my historical blabbing. :-)

Jerry Garvin, Anaheim, CA.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi! How nice to see someone inquiring about the Kissel! (only 1 "l" in the name

I only saw one response posted, but I have a personal interest. The company was started by my family...I am a 4th generation Kissel. There is a fabulous museum in the town of Hartford,WI...easily a great carferry trip...and they have a website under the name of Wisconsin Heritage Auto Museum (I think that's it) It is a beautiful place with many Kissels and other vintage autos, lots of historical stuff, and would make a great vacation. If you can't find it on the Internet, let me know. The curator is Mr. Anderson, and there is actually a Kissel Kar Klub. There are, I believe, about 800 Kissels left in the world mostly in museums and private collections. I am also a Michigander and since this is my family heritage, I managed to get a dilapidated Kissel which is now being restored...slowly. Amelia Earhart, William "Hopalong Cassidy" Boyd, and Al Jolson all owned Kissels (the GoldBug roadster) at one time. It was quite the thing in the old days, apparently. I have tons of literature...some rather unique innovations that Kissel came up with...and immense interest in this. Let me know if you want more info...Bonnie Schauer(Gramma Kissel married a Schauer)Strand. [color:\\"blue\\"] wink.gif

Guest Chuck Conrad

It never ceases to amaze me who "drops in" on this forum. I'm very pleased you found it.

If you ever need refuge for some of that literature, I know the CCCA Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan would love to have it. We have just doubled the size of our library with the addition of our new Dr. Erle Heath Barn. It will be dedicated in June at the CCCA Experience. Maybe you'd like to come. It will be a great weekend.

Please don't be a stranger.

You can see Amelia Earhart's Kissel Gold Bug Speedster at the Forney Museum in Denver, Colorado. It's a really neat place to visit. Even though most of the cars are in Class 3 condition or worse, there are a LOT of extremely rare cars in there that have been preserved. Well worth the admission price.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_SoKalKisselKnut

It's really terrific to see so much interest in the Kissel marque here on this site!

It was an especially wonderful surprise to hear from you, Bonnie. Am I correct in assuming that you still have a 1929 White Eagle Brougham, and that is the car you mentioned you're restoring? If you ever decide you might want to part with that car, please, PLEASE let me know...{though I won't be holding my breath}! :-)

The last time a count of surviving Kissels was made, I think the number was closer to only 100 instead of the 800 you mentioned, Bonnie. Believe me, I WISH there were that many left, but alas, I doubt it...sad to think that though the brand was produced for nearly 25 years, there are so few still with us. Of that 100, I wonder how many might be roadworthy? Perhaps less than half?

It's rather profound and sobering to think that on any day I or another person might be driving a Kissel out on the open road, I or they might be, right at that moment, the only person in the world doing so.

Can't very well call the nearest Kissel dealer or OnStar to get help in case of a breakdown either, that's for sure....

Jerry Garvin, Anaheim

1929 Kissel White Eagle 8 Coupe-Roadster

{714-758-2899}